[robocup-small] Minor Rules Changes and Proposals (by B-Smart)

Paulo Costa paco at fe.up.pt
Wed Dec 26 10:13:55 EST 2007

Hi!

Here are some comment from me and my team on your proposal:

1. Proposal for rules change for "Competition Rules":

I think that "Competition Rules" is the place to put things like proposal 2.

2. Proposal for a rules change for extra time play and kicks from the penalty
mark:

Agree. See last comment...

3. Proposal for change in referee-box for the end of game:

It seem that whoever created the the first referee box was stronger in CS
than in soccer...
I always though of the referee box as an interface to translate the referee
signal to a "language" that the software could easily understand.
Unfortunately it already has some automation and that creates some
confusion. Most of it isn't critical but the way that it stops the game in
the end is.
We agree that we must give the full power about the end of the periods of
play back to the referee.
We like the first variant of the proposal with one addition. It should be
clear that the end of the game is determined by the referee whistle, not
the referee box signal. That's to avoid the situation where the referee
signals the end of the game and, because of a delay by the referee box
operator, a goal is scored.

4. Proposal for modification of the goals

Agree.

Another possibility is to build the goal with a net like in real soccer...

5. Proposal for rules change for dribbler restriction

The existence of dribblers can be thought as a replica of the human
movement of stepping on the ball to stop it or hold it. Of course when a
player does that he almost can't move and the ball isn't beyond reach of an
opponent.

We are neutral on placing an additional time restriction but the distance
restriction should be kept.

6. Proposal for rules change for "force start"

Agree! Strongly!

7. Proposal for rules change for restriction for "Chip Kick"

The reason why the rule against chip kick goals exist is because our robots
are not fast enough.
In real soccer, most long range chip kicks are not dangerous because if the
the goal keeper is well positioned he can easily catch the ball. That's
because he has plenty of time to track it and place himself to do it.
Unfortunately our robots can't do that yet and most chip kicks become
seriously dangerous to the defensive team. That's why their effectiveness
was curbed by the actual rule. I hope that in the future the rule will
become obsolete and could be dropped :)

As for your proposal I think the "new situation in play occurs" should be
well defined because it can lead to some strange situations:
- Team A chip kicks from their field and the goal keeper from team B
intercepts the ball.
- Team B goal keeper shots the ball away
- The ball bounces on a Team B defender and enters Team B goal.
- The goal is not allowed and the crowd boos the referee :)

Our take on this proposal: We need more discussion!

8. opinions about the new defence area

Agree

9. Proposal for a Challenge: semi-autonomous referee system

I am sceptically that an autonomous referee could math a reasonable human
referee, but it seems an interesting research area and its status as a
challenge can motivate that development.

10. Proposal for a Challenge: Shared vision system

While it would solve the setup problem I fear that it introduces a few
problems. One of them is that the field setup become more expensive and
complex. Add the maintenance and it can become a tough burden on the
organization. Worse, any problem with its performance will have the teams
screaming on the organizers. Not a pretty picture...
But, as a challenge and as a way to motivate some progress on that area it
seems a good idea.

Hope it helps,

Paulo Costa
5dpo Team