[robocup-small] Ideas for 2007 Rules

Paulo Marques pmarques at grupopie.com
Thu Oct 19 09:39:26 EDT 2006

James Bruce wrote:
>[...]
> Well, we could make a smaller step to 8 minutes.  The main thing I'm
> trying to avoid is the situation where both teams are having problems
> and play stops for almost 20 minutes as each team takes their timeouts
> one after the other.  That is too long in my opinion.  For comparison,
> the Aibo league has one timeout per team, for only 3 minutes.

Yes, but the Aibo team is supposed to only have to solve software
problems. The hardware is supposed to be reliable. Custom made robots
are much more prone to hardware failures.

I don't mind reducing the time to 8 minutes, though.

> *** Are chip kicks now too powerful for the goalie?
> [...]
> Offsides does seem like a good idea to help with this, and seems to have
> a more support than my initial ideas.  Beng's observation that it won't
> help during regular play might not turn out to be a bad thing; We mainly
> want to help corner kicks, and not affect regular play too much.

I really don't understand this. During corner kicks, no player is ever
offside because the ball is on the top of the field.

 From FIFA rules, if you pass to a player that is behind the line of the
ball, that player is not offside even if it is closer to the goal than
the last defender.

I agree with Paulo Costa about allowing a second defender into the area
for 3 seconds after the ball is in play.

While the game is stopped, the defender can enter the area at will, so
there is no problem refereeing that.

When the game starts, that robot has to leave the area in a short time
(~3 seconds) that is basically the time it takes for the ball to reach
the area when shot directly from the corner. This doesn't have to be an
exact timing, since even if the robot stays there for 4 or 5 seconds it
shouldn't affect game play all that much.

--
Paulo Marques - 5DPO team member

"The face of a child can say it all, especially the
mouth part of the face."