[robocup-small] Question for the rule

David Ball dball at itee.uq.edu.au
Thu May 18 19:29:05 EDT 2006

Dear Nawarat,

My answers are below.

> <mailto:robocup-small at cc.gatech.edu>
>
> Hi, TC
>
> In LAW12
>
> An indirect free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a robot:
>
>     * contacts the goalkeeper where the point of contact is in the
>       defence area
>     * dribbles the ball over a distance greater than 500 mm
>     * *touched the ball such that the top of the ball travels more
>       than 150 mm from the ground, and the ball subsequently enters
>       their opponent's goal, without having either touched a teammate
>       (while below 150 mm) or remained in contact with the ground
>       (stopped bouncing). *
>
> 1. If a goal is done by "without having either touched a teammate
> (while below 150 mm)"* but remained in contact with the ground
> (stopped bouncing) *and then goal (like picture below).
> Is this goal valid?
Yes it is...but the ball is more likely to bounce a few more times
before rolling like your diagram shows. This will depend on the carpet
type and what material is underneath the carpet.
> In my own opinion, the goal should valid if it *remained in contact
> with the ground more than 50 cm or more.*
As soon as it remains in contact with the ground the rule is reset and a
goal can be scored.
> 2. If a goal is done by *"having *either touched a teammate (while
> below 150 mm)*"  but that teammate use chip kick device to make the goal*.
> Is this goal valid?
Anytime the ball goes over 150mm (even if it wasn't kicked) this rule
comes into effect. It is irrelevant that the teammate uses a chip kick,
but if the ball again goes over 150mm then it must again touch another
teammate once below 150mm or stop bouncing completely.

Regards,
David Ball

> Regards,
> Nawarat,
> Plasma-Z Thailand

Regards,
David Ball

The School of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering.
The University of Queensland.
Australia
Email: dball at itee.uq.edu.au

*Job Titles*
PhD Student - Thesis Topic: Adaptive Agents: Opponent Modelling and Exploiting
RoboCupJunior Tutor and Competition Technical Organiser
Technical Committee Chair for Small Size League RoboCup 2006
Top Secret SAP Contract: All I can say is that it involves robots!!!!
Bai Rui Taekwon-Do Instructor