[robocup-small] field size experiment

Raul Rojas rojas at inf.fu-berlin.de
Sun Oct 9 15:08:25 EDT 2005

Following on the discussion about perspectives for 2006 and
beyond, I would like to report on an experiment we did a
few days ago.

We put one single camera in the middle of the current field, at 3.4 meters
of height,
we calibrated the vision, and were able to play with the current markers
and ball. We just did so as if the field had been increased to twice
the area (instead of 4 by 5.5 meters, 8 m long by 5.5 m wide).

That is, we can play on twice the current area with the same vision
system, and one camera on each field half, at 3.4 meters height. Total
field size is the above mentioned 8 by 5.5 meters.

At our lab we do not have that playing area, but we could train on the field
we have now, as if it was one half of the new field.

I took a video of the robots playing... but I lost it, so a new video
will have to be made.

As has been pointed out many times in this list, increasing field size
is the more elegant solution to all the energy and speed issues discussed
so far. And the game looks so much more interesting, with ball out of
bounds becoming a smaller problem (althoug it is still one).

Raul Rojas
FU-Fighters Team