[robocup-small] General Feedback Reminder + Walls! + Dribbling Restriction

David Ball dball at itee.uq.edu.au
Tue Aug 30 21:43:03 EDT 2005

Dear SSLC,

Half of the time for general feedback/comments from the community has
elapsed....with no feedback/comments yet! Now is the time to tell the TC
what you want. What did you like/dislike at RoboCup 2005? What rules
would you like to see added or changed?

I would like to start the walls discussion again. In my opinion there
was not enough play time for the robots at RoboCup 2005. Also the
importance of restart strategies (and set plays) is far too high
compared to general play. The average play time between restarts seemed
around 10 seconds. This didn't improve noticibly from RoboCup 2004. I am
not sure exactly what type of wall we should use. Some options for you
to consider. Please suggest more!

A. 90 Degree Walls - Simple, plain vertical walls. Easy to build. Yes
they can be used to shoot the ball off for deflect goals. While that was
a problem years ago, the field is much bigger and the systems are much
faster in terms of frame rate, latency and robot dynamics.

B. 45 degree Angled Walls - Like in RoboCup 2003. These were successful
because they kept the ball in unless it was a high powered shot.

C. Gently sloped wall. - The idea being that the ball rolls back into
the field but the robots can drive up/over the wall. This is Rauls
Rojas's suggestion. Perhaps he can add to it? (I hope I have it right,
sorry if I don't.)

D. No wall - Current. Ball goes out constantly. No significant
improvement from RoboCup 2004 to 2005.

E. Any other suggestions?

I think the community should also discuss the dribbling restriction
again. Make the restriction radius larger, smaller, only for active
dribblers or remove it all together?

--
Regards,
David Ball

The School of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering.
The University of Queensland.
Australia
Email: dball at itee.uq.edu.au

*Job Titles*
PhD Student - Thesis Topic: Adaptive Agents: Opponent Modelling and Exploiting
RoboCupJunior Tutor and Competition Technical Organiser
Technical Committee Chair for Small Size League RoboCup 2006
Top Secret SAP Contract: All I can say is that it involves robots!!!!
Bai Rui Taekwon-Do Instructor