[robocup-small] FW: How to paint lines on carpet (Robot playing field) without changing the texture of the carpet

Smith, Kevin SmithK at byui.edu
Wed Jun 15 12:24:51 EDT 2005

I have purchased a section of carpet to use as the floor covering for a
robot soccer competition.  As you know, I need to have white lines on
the green carpet to mark the playing field.  We tried latex paint with
the result that although the lines are nice and white, they are also
hard and bumped up on the carpet.  The robots nearly knocked over on
their side when they "hit" the lines.

Do you know of a way that we can change the color of the carpet to white
without dramatically changing its texture or height? (like bleaching,
spray painting?)

The carpet is manufactured by Beaulieu.  The style is Nature's Choice (a
felt carpet) and the color is Irish spring (a green color).  Technical
support personnel at Beaulieu tell me that the carpet is made of UV
Stabilized Olefin (a polypropylene material).

Thank you,

Kevin

Kevin B. Smith, Faculty Member

Computer Science and Engineering Department

AUS 216

Brigham Young University - Idaho

525 S Center Street

Rexburg, ID 83460-1015