[robocup-small] Rule changes for 2005

Beng Kiat Ng nbk at np.edu.sg
Wed Dec 1 20:46:18 EST 2004

Hi all!
Just to clarify some of the issue here!

                      Dietmar Walter Schreiner
                      <tw03d037 at technikum-wien         To:      robocup-small at cc.gatech.edu
                      .at>                             cc:      (bcc: Beng Kiat Ng/me/staff/npnet)
                      Sent by:                         Subject: Re: [robocup-small] Rule changes for 2005
                      robocup-small-bounces at cc
                      .gatech.edu

                      01/12/04 07:04 AM

>>* ad change 2.)

>>we can't see any benefit here. the planned 10cm rule is one step away
from fifa
>>soccer. if any bots would need more room to navigate the out-of-bounds
area of
>>the field could be enlarged but the ball should be placed on the lines.
The reason for moving the ball 10cm in is because it was observed in Lisbon
that in many throw-ins, the ball went out of the field a few cm right after
the throw-in. This is mostly due to throw-in not not taken properly, or the
tussling of ball taking place too close to the lines. By bringing the ball
in 10cm, we believe the ball will be less likely to leave the field again,
right after a throw-in.

Of course, we can reintroduce the walls. But I  think we should try for
another year without walls, before we decide again whether to reintroduce
the wall.

I see the throw-in rule modification as a temporary measure. Once the
thow-in situation improves, we should move the throw-in back to the lines.

>>* ad change 3.)

>>if this rule is ment to avoid passive gameplay (while you are in lead) we
will
>>agree on that. also consider to not simply restart but to put a penalty
on
>>inactivity.
The teams that have problems with restarts are mostly the new teams with
technical problems. They are not done on purpose, for e.g., trying to waste
time. If we were to impose a penalty on inactivity,it would be too harsh.

>>* ad change 4.)

>>we fully agree on that (as we got a very good explanation on the mailing
list).
>>we think that no used technology should be intrusive.

>>another thought could be to limit the number of used bandwith/channels
per team
>>as bandwith consumption will surely raise in the future.
I do agree that we have to impose some kind of limit on bandwidth/channels.
For example, the WLAN can potentially caters to many teams. But if each
team uses 1 Mbit/s, then it would really be a problem.

>>* ad change 6.)

>>why would you need that ? as lighting conditions may vary, the vision
system has
>>to be able to handle color calibration. a good vision system will also be
able
>>to handle any pattern on top of a bot.
The key issue here is a good vision system. Different teams have different
vision ability.
In Lisbon, we have a team using a very dark blue that is almost invisible
to my camera. It looks really clearly on the team camera. We settled this
by using blue, and the other team yellow. Then we have the problem of the
other team very a secondary colors that fairly close to our blue. We
managed to solve the problem in the end. The point is, if we could not
solve it in time, we would not be able to play.

>>the only things that will make sense here are, that the rules specify a
period
>>of for example 15 minutes befor the match, where the calibrations and
>>adjustmends with the opponends top-labels for the vision system could be
done
Good suggestion. I would say 1 hour is more appropriate.

>>and that neighbouring colors to the balls color in color space are
prohibitted
>>for bot markers.
This should also include neighbouring color to the team colors. The
difficult thing here is, how do we specify what is neighbouring colors. A
good camera can discern colors that an average one would not be able to.

>>* ad change 9.)

>>we also think that a rule change has to be done on that topic, as the
small
>>field size allows chip kicks to the goal from anywhere on the field.

>>a simple solution could be, that on any indirect kick two bots of the
kicking
>>team have to touch the ball to score a goal (if only one bot touches the
ball a
>>goal is not counted). this will allow to use the chip-kicker for indirect
free
>>kicks but will deny a direct goal.
The only problem with this suggestion is that direct free kicks must also
be taken as indirect free kicks.
Direct free kick as a penalty is now totally ineffective.

Regards
BengKiat