[robocup-small] rules discussion

Raul Rojas rojas at inf.fu-berlin.de
Wed Dec 1 07:24:53 EST 2004

There were many comments about the rules. That is good, but now
we have to make a good summary of the main issues put forward by the
teams and try to see where there is agreement, and where not.
I think that most points could be decided by a vote. If the
vote is too close (like 10 to 11, for example), the technical committee
decides on that issue.

Let me try to summarize some points and say something about the field
wall
at the end:

Rule 1:

There are two proposals: to limit all pushing by the robots to 50 cm,
not to limit it. I am for not limiting the distance a robot can push
the ball (with or without dribbler), because it is an artificial
limitation
which actually decreases the range of options for a team. Passing will
not
improve: such a limitation will actually make it easier to trap a robot
handling the ball. Just go against this robot with two or three robots
and that's it, it is trapped and will not be able to pass, or do
anything.

I propose that teams with dribbler can also push the ball beyond the 50
cm limit (but with dribbler motor off), so that all teams have the same
range of options.

My proposal does not affect any team negatively. The proposed 50cm limit
would
actually empoverish the game. Let the range of options open, this will
produce
more strategic variability and better games.

Rule 2:

there seems to be agreement that moving the ball a little inside is
better.
Some teams think that having a slope on the boundary makes easier to let
the
ball roll back.

Rule 6:

I did not really see any convincing argument for having "official
colors", which
become unofficial once the lightning is left variable and is not
standard.

Rule 7:

6 robots per team seems to be not a very popular idea

WALL:

I agree with the Cornell team, that dropping the wall sounds nice, but
it has
actually made the game deteriorate. Seven seconds of average
uninterrupted game
is just too low a value. If there is no other possible solution, I am
also
for reintroducing the wall. We cannot compare our league with mid-size
or
the dogs. Their robots are five to ten times slower: having no wall does
not
stop the game there as often as in our case. Making the game longer is
not the
fix we need. We need to keep the ball in play. If the only way to do
this is by
having a wall, let us have a wall.

This is such an important issue that we should have a discussion/vote
exclusively
about it.

Raul Rojas
FU Fighters Team