[robocup-small] Rule changes for 2005

robocup robocup at et.hs-anhalt.de
Fri Nov 19 06:00:56 EST 2004

Hello,

First I would agree to Cool Running and B-Smart. Increasing the number
of robots would not lead to more passing. Additionally it causes some
financial problems for smaller teams like us.

>Chang 1:
>
>The dribbling distance will be set at 500mm for both active and passive
>dribblers.

This is not a good idea regarding passive dribbling. Our robots have no
active dribbler and we do not plan to add one in the near futur. Instead
we work on passive dribbling which uses the robot chassis as dribbling
surface. There is no need to set a dribbling distance for pushing the
ball around the field because the robot has not an absolute control over
the ball. You have to move the robot in a certain way to achive a stable
dribbling. So it may be much easier for the opponent team to disturbe
the dribbling process. You only have to move your defending robot into
the dribbling paths and we may loose the ball. I think we should wait to
see what happens if more teams use passive dribbling (I think only the
FU-Fighters used passive dribbling  in Lisbon) and than make a descission.

>Change 2:
>
>For all restarts where the ball has gone out of bounds and the rules
>state the ball is too be placed ON a boundary line or within 10cm of a
>boundary line, the ball will be instead moved towards the middle of the
>field to an imaginary line that is 10cm any of the boundary lines that
>the ball is within the 10cm wall.  Needs rewording but I think it makes
>sense.

This is a good idea maybe we should additionally change the distance
rule for the robots to get more space (see change 9). I would also agree
to the oppinion of the Cool Runnings. Brinning the ball out of the
bounds should be a greater disadvantage.

>Change 4:
>
>No more bluetooth is allowed in the small-size league, and all other RF
>decisions will be left to the OC based on local conditions.

We do not use BT and WLAN until today. But for the 400 - 900MHz
frequency range we had the same effects like B-Smart at the 2004
compitition. I would not say that we should restrict the transmitter
power. Maybe the to teams playing against each other should have to use
these frequencies (available) which are as far away from each other
(e.g. 418MHz vs. 869MHz) as possible .

>Change 6:
>
>The EC/OC/TC will decide upon ALL yellows, blues, greens, cyans, and
>pinks allowed to be used by robots before the competition and will make
>enough of these colors available at the competition for each team to
>field 6 robots.

This would be a step backward. I think a future goal of vision
development is a system which can be use under most different lighting
conditions like indoor lamps or outdoor sunshine. I think almost all
vision systems in use can be adjusted to different colors so there is no
problem. Maybe one team can readjust faster as another team.

>Change 7:
>
>We will have 6 robots per team

As I discribed above it would be difficult for smaller teams with
limited financial resources. As the Cool Runnings said decreasing the
room for earch robot is a step back. It would eliminate the effects of
the enlarged field.

>Change 8:
>
>The time of game will include 12 minute halfs, 5 minute half time
>breaks, each team retains its color for the duration of the match and
>colors are decided along with the referee 1 hour before the match.

That's a change which can go into the direction of energy efficient
robots. I think thats not a big problem. Maybe we have to adjust the
behavior control to introduce energy management. But combined with
energy control discribed be Raul it would be a interesting research field.

>Change 9:
>
>There will be no chip kicks allowed during any restart.  Chip kicks (of
>any height) will be allowed during all other situations.

I would fully agree to this rule. Its not a good game play if you score
a goal with a chip kicker from a free kick or kick off. But does it mean
that you are not allowed to kick the ball above any robot in a free kick
situation. This could decrease the chance of getting the ball into play
without go out of the boundery again. We plan to use a chip kicker next
year. But we want to use it during the game. At free kick or kick off
situations we would try to kick the ball above blocking robots but not
to score a goal. The idea of not scoring a goal from the opposite side
of the field is also not bad.

Denis Wodarczak

RFC-Koethen
http://www.et.hs-anhalt.de/robocup.html