[robocup-nao] B-Human license

Thomas Röfer Thomas.Roefer at dfki.de
Thu Apr 24 05:27:59 EDT 2014

Dear RoboCuppers,

there were several announcements from teams using parts of the B-Human code release this year. They are all referring to the "B-Human license". Since we do not announce publicly, whether we think that the use announced actually conforms with our license, and since using parts of our code has a certain impact on third parties, we decided to publish the license in this mailing list. Thus each RoboCupper can build his or her own opinion, whether the announcements made conform with our license. The important part is number 4.

LICENSE
Copyright (c) 2013 B-Human.  All rights reserved.

Preamble: B-Human releases most of the software it uses at RoboCup
competitions to allow teams participating in the Standard Platform
League that do not have the resources to develop a complete robot
soccer system on their own, but still have important contributions
to make to the goals of RoboCup. We intend to enable such teams to
benchmark their own scientific approaches in RoboCup competitions.
We also hope that the scientific community will benefit from their
work through the publication of their findings.
A second reason for B-Human releasing its code is that source code
is the most solid documentation of how problems were actually
solved.

Parts of this distribution were not developed by B-Human.
This license doesn't apply to these parts, the rights of the
copyright owners remain.

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
are met:
1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
   notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above
   copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following
   disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided
   with the distribution.

3. The end-user documentation included with the redistribution, if
   any, must include the following acknowledgment:
   "This product includes software developed by B-Human
    (http://www.b-human.de)."
   Alternately, this acknowledgment may appear in the software
   itself, if and wherever such third-party acknowledgments
   normally appear.

4. If the source code or parts of the source code shall be used
   for a RoboCup competition, the competing program must differ in
   at least multiple major parts from the original distribution.
   "Major parts" means own contributions to the RoboCup goal, which
   are potentially publishable and usually manifest themselves as
   new modules (i.e. source code) and not just as a parameterization
   of existing technology (e.g. walking parameters, kicks, behavior
   options).

5. For each B-Human code release from which parts are used in a
   RoboCup competition, the usage shall be announced in the SPL
   mailing list (currently robocup-nao at cc.gatech.edu) one month
   before the first competition in which you are using it. The
   announcement shall name which parts of this code are used.
   It shall also contain a description of the own contribution
   that addresses the criterions mentioned above.

6. If you are using this source code or parts of this source code
   and happen to meet members of B-Human at a RoboCup competition,
   please provide these members with a few bottles of your favorite
   beer.

7. Bug fixes regarding existing code shall be sent back to B-Human via
   GitHub pull request (https://github.com/bhuman).

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY B-HUMAN ``AS IS'' AND ANY
EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL
B-HUMAN NOR ITS MEMBERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT,
INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
(INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS
INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY,
WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING
NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF
THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

Best regards

Thomas Röfer
(B-Human)
Dr. Thomas Röfer
DFKI Bremen
Cyber-Physical Systems
Cartesium 0.55
Enrique-Schmidt-Str. 5
28359 Bremen, Germany

http://www.dfki.de
www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~roefer

Phone: +49 (421) 218-64200
Fax: +49 (421) 218-9864200
eMail: Thomas.Roefer at dfki.de
Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Künstliche Intelligenz GmbH

Geschäftsführung:
Dr. Walter Olthoff

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes