[robocup-nao] SPL Rule Draft for 2012

Stefan Tasse stefan.tasse at tu-dortmund.de
Thu Mar 22 09:12:35 EDT 2012

Dear Joã Silva,

thanks for the input! I hope it is ok for you that our reply goes to the
public SPL list. Probably other teams might have had similar thoughts,
so the TC's opinion might interest them, too.

In short, none of the two issues will change for RoboCup 2012.

Concerning the swapping of team robot team colors in the half time:
We will continue to switch the direction of play and the colors at
half-time in order to minimize any accusation of the introduction of bias.
 From our perspective, a much more interesting change would be custom
jerseys! (Those of course the robots would keep for the whole game.)
However, we have not figured out a safe way to do this, both from the
hardware point of view (entangled robots, keeping sonar sensors free,
etc.), and from having non-biased color schemes. Maybe some of you have
good ideas for this for RoboCup 2013.

Concerning the introduction of extra computers in communication with the
robots:
Well, one possibility to do this would be to define a common interface
and provide another computer per field in competitions besides the
GameController. However, to really provide a view of this data, we would
need a big screen. Seeing how the RoboCup organizers never provided even
one screen per field to visualize the scores and currently playing
teams, we don't expect to have such hardware available. So this option
will not be implemented anytime soon.
And actually, your motivation for this has mostly been debugging. I
understand this, but you can already do this during test games on the
venue. Allowing this during real games with computers and interfaces
which are not provided by the league's organizers, but by the teams,
this would introduce serious possibilities to cheat. Pushing a single
key in the right situation could change a game.
In my opinion there are better debugging possibilities which already
comply to the rules, even during games. In my team, we log all high
level behavior decisions and input during a game. Combining this with a
recorded video of the game gives you a pretty good idea about what went
wrong. This is much better compared to keeping one eye on a live view of
the robots' localization and one on the field, and then guessing what
happened in that situation and why.

Therefore we see no necessity to change our rule about allowing
communication only "among robots on the field and between robots and the
GameController", and no other external computers or robots.

Best regards,
Stefan Tasse
(SPL TC)

16.03.2012 15:30, João Silva: