[robocup-nao] SPL technical challenges for 2011

Somchaya Liemhetcharat som at ri.cmu.edu
Fri Nov 5 16:30:49 EDT 2010

Hi everyone,

Here are the suggestions from the CMurfs team.

We liked the open challenge and would like to see it in next year's RoboCup
as well.

The dribbling and passing challenges cover good areas as well, and we have
the following suggestions to each of them:

Dribbling challenge:
The dribbling challenge this year was a good starting point. We should
increase the difficulty by adding a mobile robot. The mobile robot will walk
back and forth the center line within the center circle, from one end of the
center circle to the other and back.

The dribbling robot has to dribble the ball around static robots placed in
the field (similar to this year), as well as past the moving robot. The ball
has to pass the center line within the center circle, i.e., the path that
the mobile robot patrols.

If the ball comes into contact with a static robot, the ball is placed at
its starting point. If the ball hits the dribbling robot or passes the
center line outside the center circle, the ball is placed on the center
circle.

If the robot comes into contact with any other robot, the ball is placed at
its starting point.

Passing challenge:
The field is divided into multiple regions, e.g., defensive left, defensive
right, mid left, mid right, offensive left, offensive right. Two robots are
initially placed in the defensive penalty box. Before the challenge begins,
the TC will announce the order of passing within the regions, e.g., from
defensive left to defensive right, then to mid right, then to offensive
left. The ball is initially placed within the first region. The robots will
have to coordinate to move to these regions and pass the ball to each other.
This challenge simulates 1-2 passing done by real soccer players in order to
bring the ball upfield.

Thanks,
Somchaya