[robocup-nao] SPL technical challenges for 2011

Heinrich Mellmann mellmann at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Fri Nov 5 12:49:01 EDT 2010

Dear all,

first of all we also agree, that the Open Challenge should be continued.

Additionally we would like to propose three other Ideas to extend the
challenges.
All this ideas focus on the better *control of the ball* during the game.

1) extended version of dribbling challenge
2) ball control
3) bring a difficult ball into the goal

Best Regards
Heinrich Mellmann

NaoTH - Nao Team Humboldt
http://www.naoth.de

--------------
extended version of dribbling challenge
--
Controlling the ball is a very important task for winning a soccer game.
Nevertheless, the dribbling challenge was solved by only few teams last

Thus, we propose to extend the this task at the next competition in
order to underline the ball-controlling part in it.
The basic task should be (as usually) dribbling the ball between passive
opponents.
Additionally, the robot should keep control over the ball during the
whole time.
E.g., the ball should never be more than 50cm away from the robot.

--------------
ball control
--
In this challenge we simulate an opponent robot having the ball,
whereby our task is to take over the control over it.

In particular the task could be defined as follows:
One robot is participating in the challenge.
The robot starts in the own goal, WLOG yellow.
A passive robot with opponent color is placed at the penalty mark
of the red team (i.e., in my own half) facing the yellow goal.
The ball is placed 5cm in front of this robot.
Now, the task is to take the ball WITHOUT touching the passive
robot and to bring it into the opponent half (or score the goal).

This task itself maybe doesn't carry enough complexity itself,
but it could be a valuable extension of another challenge.

bring a difficult ball into the goal
--
In the most cases the ball is kicked out, when it lands on the outer line.
Thus, it could be an interesting task to get a ball from a difficult