[robocup-nao] SPL technical challenges for 2011

hugel vincent hugel at lisv.uvsq.fr
Tue Nov 2 13:59:27 EDT 2010

Dear all,

We propose 4 challenges for open discussion.
Please find our suggestions below.

All the best,

Vincent
On behalf of the L3M team

Suggestions of Challenges for RoboCup 2011 SPL league

1) Ball passing challenge revisited with corner kick

In this challenge three robots are placed near the penalty kick point,
and the referee places the ball at one of the field corners on the left
or right hand side of the blue/yellow goal.
One of the robots, namely robot 1, must go the ball to achieve a corner
kick.
The other robots, namely robots 2 and 3 must place themselves at some
distance in front of the opponent goal poles, for instance robot 2 in
front of left pole, robot 3 in front of right pole. Robot 1 must take
the corner kick, i.e. turn about the ball and kick it in the direction
of the other robots in front of the goal.
Depending on the location of the ball when it stops rolling, robot 2 or
robot 3 must then go to the ball and score a goal.
The robots must communicate between each other at the beginning to know
which of them must take the corner. Robot 1 must inform robots 2 and 3
that it has kicked the ball from the corner.
Marks should be awarded for each phase of the corner action that has
been completed.
This challenge should promote ball passing for attacking situations.

2) Robots following each other in Indian file

Two robots are requested to follow each other in Indian file.
At the beginning the robots are placed in Indian file on a straight line.
The leader robot must follow a white path on the field made of straight
lines and right and left corners. The other robot in the file must
follow its predecessor in the file while keeping a distance between 30
and 40 cm (this can be adjusted) with it. When the white path is
finished the robots must halt without bumping into each other, and keep
a fixed distance between them.
The environment will be a flat ground. The robots should not be allowed
to use absolute localization on the field, so maybe the goals should be
covered.
All robots can use their vision system and their US sensors. They will
be allowed to communicate with each other.
If possible teams will be allowed to put some markers on the robots’
back or on the back of the robots’ head.
This challenge should help track other robots on the field.

3) Turn around another player

In a limited time period one robot must turn around another robot that
remains standing at the same spot. The walking robot must make as many
turns as possible while keeping a fixed radial distance with the
standing robot. The distance should be between 30 and 40cm. To get the
minimal score, the robot must at least achieve one turn around the
standing robot while respecting approximately the fixed distance
required for the radial turn. The more turns, the higher the reward.
This challenge should foster player avoidance and dribbling.

4) Scoring into a white goal

This challenge consists of placing a robot at the penalty kick marker,
and to place the ball at three different locations in the half-field
(penalty kick point, 1 meter on the left of the penalty kick point, one
meter on the right of the penalty kick point). The robot must be capable
of scoring goals into a white goal as quickly as possible. This
challenge should foster the use of white goals and to avoid confusion
with white lines. It can be used to make a decision in case of tie game.

Le 01/11/2010 09:28, Tekin Mericli a écrit :
> Dear all,
>
> The TC is in the process of preparing the definitions and rules of the
> challenges, and we would like to hear your ideas and suggestions about
> interesting problems, the solutions of which will carry the league
> forward. Please take a look at the following documents to see what the
> past couple of years' challenges were like.
>
> http://www.tzi.de/spl/pub/Website/Downloads/Challenges2010.pdf
>
> http://www.tzi.de/spl/pub/Website/Downloads/Challenges2009.pdf
>
> http://www.tzi.de/spl/pub/Website/Downloads/Challenges2007.pdf
>
> http://www.tzi.de/spl/pub/Website/Downloads/Challenges2006.pdf
>
> http://www.tzi.de/spl/pub/Website/Downloads/Challenges2005.pdf
>

> It is very likely that we will have the open challenge again since it
> was very well-received by the teams and very interesting works of
> research were presented last year.
>
> Please let us know about your ideas by Friday, November the 5th, 2010.
>

> Best,
>
> Tekin Mericli
>
> On behalf of the SPL Technical Committee

Vincent HUGEL
'Les Trois Mousquetaires' RoboCup SPL league Team Leader
Maître de Conférences HDR - Ingénieur Civil des Mines
Ingénieur Génie Robotique et Productique
Assistant Professor - Robotics Engineer
LISV - Laboratoire d'Ingénierie des Systèmes de Versailles
10/12 avenue de l'Europe
78140 VELIZY
FRANCE
Tél. : 01 39 25 49 75