[robocup-msrs] Answers to questions

Nikos Vlassis vlassis at dpem.tuc.gr
Mon Jun 11 12:36:34 EDT 2007

Hi Kyle,

thanks for your answers.

8) How can we reset robots/ball to specific positions during development?
> Moving the ball to a specific position is easy, moving the robots is more
> difficult.  To move the ball position, put the simulator into edit mode by
> pressing F5.  This pauses the physics engine so your soccer players and the
> ball will stop moving.  Find the Soccer Ball entity in the upper-left-hand
> pane and select it.  In the lower-left-hand pane, select the position
> propery.  Either type in new position numbers or press the control key and
> drag the ball around the field with the left mouse button to move it.  When
> you have it positioned properly, press F5 again to return to simulation
> mode.
> I'm still working on an easy way to move the Robudogs around and I'll let
> you know as soon as I have it.

This is fine, but we need a way to do the above with C# code, otherwise it's
not very useful. Clearly one of the main advantages of the simulation as
opposed to the real system, is that collecting training data is cheap, and
based on these data one can use various learning techniques for adapting
whatever algorithms one is developing. Unless there is an
automatic/programmable way to set the objects in the desired positions,
there is no hope that one can use such techniques for learning how to play
soccer. I believe it would be really a pity if we are not given this
possibility --- in fact we assumed that this would be the case when we
registered for this event, and it would be very disappointing if it turns
out that this option is disabled. Whatever techniques one uses for algorithm
design, I believe that there should be a programmable way to test the
developed algorithms without interacting manually with the simulator
graphics.

thanks,
Nikos