[robocup-legged] Re: [tekkotsu_dev] new open-source OPEN-R implementation

Lyle Bickley lbickley at bickleywest.com
Thu Mar 16 15:58:36 EST 2006

On Thursday 16 March 2006 12:25, Nuno Lopes wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm pleased to announce a new open-source projects that aims to run the
> AIBO code on a normal pc, without any code changes.
> To make this possible we need to implement the full Open-R framework
> (because probably Sony will never give us the OPEN-R sources), and
> that will need some effort.

Yes, I contacted Sony at several levels of management with regard to the
availability of the sources for OPEN-R - and consistently got the answer that
OPEN-R was an important piece of "intellectual property" of the Sony
Corporation and therefore was not going to be released as open-source to the
public.

> But I think it is worth, as it will speedup the
> development cycle (imagine that you could run gdb/valgrind/ltrace/strace on
> your programs..).

Very helpful and cool, indeed.

Cheers,
Lyle