[robocup-legged] new open-source OPEN-R implementation

Nuno Lopes ncpl at mega.ist.utl.pt
Thu Mar 16 15:25:40 EST 2006

Dear all,

I'm pleased to announce a new open-source projects that aims to run the AIBO
code on a normal pc, without any code changes.
To make this possible we need to implement the full Open-R framework
(because probably Sony will never give us the OPEN-R sources), and
that will need some effort. But I think it is worth, as it will speedup the
development cycle (imagine that you could run gdb/valgrind/ltrace/strace on
your programs..).

Currently we are already able to compile the files using the native compiler
and we've been also able to run some Sony's examples. Even if you don't feel
like coding such low-level stuff, writing good documentation will also help
us.
On a longer term, I would like to build a higher level library on top of
OPEN-R, to reduce the high learning curve of this platform.
This project will also help in a future migration to other hardware
platforms. The implementation uses 3 servers (audio, actuators and sensors),
that do the low-level things, so to port a program to other hardware
architecture will be as simple as writing the appropriate servers.

Project homepage: http://opensdk.sourceforge.net/

Regards,
Nuno Lopes