[robocup-humanoid] V-HSC Newsletter 7

Ludovic Hofer lhofer at labri.fr
Thu Apr 29 17:23:23 EDT 2021

Dear Humanoid Teams,

This is the seventh Humanoid league newsletter.

It will present the following topics:

- Submission status
- Robot model review
- Postponed: Final version of the automated referee
- Postponed: Decision on the server infrastructure
- Upcoming rules updates
- Upcoming dates

# Submission status
===================

A total of 20 teams registered to the competition, 17 in KidSize and 3
in AdultSize.

We are happy to welcome two new teams: hexaclus from Greece in AdultSize
and KNR_Melson from Poland in KidSize.

# Robot model review
====================

15 robot models were submitted for the competition, 13 in KidSize and 2
in AdultSize. Each team that submitted a robot model has been assigned
two teams and two TC members to review.

As a reviewer you can connect to
<https://submission.robocuphumanoid.com> to fill in your reviews. Please
check carefully that the robot you inspect respect both the rules and
the robot model specifications.

The deadline for performing the reviews is May 3rd 23:59 AoE (Anywhere
on Earth). We will provide the results of the reviews to teams by May 7th.

# Postponed: Final version of the automated referee

Some of the features of the AutoReferee are more complex to implement
than initially planned. This is the case of the following elements:

- Ball holding which requires the computation of the convex hull of a
group of robots
- Ball manipulation
- Forceful contact

We decided to release a second version of the automated referee without
these features on April 30th. This version will contains major updates
such as a complete procedure for corners, goal kicks and throw-ins.

We plan to deliver the next version on May 10th.

While we're testing thoroughly that the implementation of the
AutoReferee follows the rule, there will probably be some elements we
did not think about. So do not hesitate to open issues or to talk to us
on Discord if you come across an unexpected behavior.

Note that updates to the GameController were also required. Those
changes include update to the messages being sent to teams and to the
messages they are allowed to send. Additional changes to the
GameController and thoses messages will follow next week.

It is important to make sure that you always use the latest version
available of the GameController for compatibility with the AutoReferee:
https://github.com/RoboCup-Humanoid-TC/GameController

# Postponed: Decision on the server infrastructure

Due to the delay in the AutoReferee update, we will also need to
postpone the updates on the server infrastructure and the robot
controller API for another week. The new tentative deadline is May 10th.

# Upcoming rules updates
========================

While developing the AutoReferee and automated test scenarios to assess
that the implementation respects the rules, we came upon a few elements
in the rules that required clarifications or adjustments.

We will publish an updated version of the rules on April 30th.

The detailed list of the changes will be available through the commit
lists on: https://github.com/RoboCup-Humanoid-TC/virtual-hsc-rules

# Upcoming dates
================

- April 30th:
  - Release of the first AutoReferee update
  - Rules update
- May 3rd: Deadline for reviews
- May 7th: Feedback on robot models is provided to teams
- May 10th:
  - Update of the API Specification
  - Update of the Server specifications
  - Next version of the AutoReferee

We welcome all your questions and comments on the Discord channel and
the Forum.

Cheers,

Ludovic (for the Humanoid League Organizing Committee)