[robocup-humanoid] Updating the Humanoid League Roadmap - Information about the process

Maike Paetzel maike.paetzel at it.uu.se
Thu Jun 14 23:13:42 EDT 2018

Dear Humanoid Teams,

The humanoid league is a very active environment that advances every year: Within the league, we discuss new challenges for the upcoming year, which are then reflected by the rule changes that are prepared by the Technical Committee. Those advancements happen with a plan in mind: The goal of RoboCup is to win against the human world champion in soccer in a fair game by 2050. With this vision and the progress within related scientific fields in mind, we try to strategically develop the league so that it allows teams to work on the most interesting and relevant challenges in the field of humanoid robotics.  Currently, this vision shows itself in the roadmap developed in 2014: https://www.robocuphumanoid.org/wp-content/uploads/HumanoidLeagueProposedRoadmap.pdf

After almost five years, it is about time to update this roadmap and we want to kick off this process with discussions during the RoboCup world championship in Montreal. It is important that the updated roadmap has strong support both from within the league and from the Federation. We have already received some valuable input from the Trustees, who would like to see the underlying scientific goals to be more prominent when updating the roadmap – instead of just stating the foreseen rule changes, they suggest to highlight the scientific questions in the roadmap and derive the rule changes based on those research goals. In addition, they suggested to focus more on the next five years and develop rather specific goals for the near future and be less specific when it comes to the more distant future.

We encourage you to think about your ideas for updating the roadmap during your travel to Canada and the setup and competition days. The Technical Committee will announce a time for discussion of a roadmap update within the league later on in Montreal. If you are not in Montreal, you’re welcome to give your input via the forum: https://hl.forum.robocup.org/
We will also engage in further discussions with the Trustees. As a follow-up to all the ideas collected during RoboCup, there will be a workshop during iROS (further information will be provided later). The next Technical Committee will then prepare an updated version of the roadmap, which will be sent to the league and Trustees for comments and then it will be finally formally accepted during RoboCup 2019.

>From now on, updating the roadmap shall become a more regular process that is discussed during each year’s RoboCup, so we can ensure that the roadmap is always up-to-date and reflects the latest development within the league and the scientific community.

Cheers,
Maike (on behalf of the Humanoid League Technical Committee)

När du har kontakt med oss på Uppsala universitet med e-post så innebär det att vi behandlar dina personuppgifter. För att läsa mer om hur vi gör det kan du läsa här: http://www.uu.se/om-uu/dataskydd-personuppgifter/

E-mailing Uppsala University means that we will process your personal data. For more information on how this is performed, please read here: http://www.uu.se/om-uu/dataskydd-personuppgifter/