[robocup-humanoid] GameController arguments

Thomas Röfer Thomas.Roefer at dfki.de
Mon Feb 6 15:43:52 EST 2012

Hi,

> I do not know if it is a feature or a bug :-). In version 2011-07-05_rev142  the port that receives the message RoboCupGameControlReturnData is fixed to 3838. Since the command line accepts port as an argument, this port number is only used, currently, to send the RoboCupGameControlData message. This is not a problem if the default 3838 is used but   might create confusion if the default is not used.

I am not sure why the port can be changed through a parameter, but the RoboCupGameControlData.h defines 3838 as the port to be used, and most teams I know use the constant GAMECONTROLLER_PORT in their code. A different port has never been used, and I cannot imagine why it should.

So, 3838 is the port to be used. Otherwise, most of the teams would have to recompile their code.

Since the WLANs at the field are usually standalone networks, the GameController is usually only started with the league and the two team numbers as parameters.

- Thomas