[robocup-humanoid] Time Penalties for the Goalie

Oskar von Stryk stryk at sim.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Dec 30 08:35:02 EST 2009

Hi Michael and HL Teams,

> Currently the rules impose a 0s time penalty to golies for fouls as
> occluding the goal.
>
> On one hand this is a very hard penalty:
> The problem is that exactly the situations when the goalie gets a time
> penalty usually are very critical game situations. If the goalie has to be
> removed from the goal in such a situation (and has to come back all the way
> from the middle line), it seems very probable that the opponent team can
> score a goal meanwhile.

I cannot remember a single game in the last years where
an indirect or direct free kick was called against the goal
keeper. Therefore, I expect that such situations will be very rare
or probably never occuring in 2010 also.

On the other hand, I would also expect that if a referee calls such a foul
by the goal keeper it must be a really severe foul or misconduct.
Then a hard penalty would be appropriate.

Therefore I suggest to try this rule out at local RoboCup Opens,
e.g. in Germany (April) and Japan (May), and we can
then use the experiences made there for a rule adoption
for RoboCup in Singapore in June, if it seems to be necessary
and after discussion on this mailing list.

> 2. The robot handlers of the own team have to remove the robot. How can we
> avoid that they just pretend do not hear the instruction of the referee.

The referees must speak loud and the robot handlers must listen and watch
out. The referee can issue warnings and penalties to teams whose
team members and do not behave properly.

> On the other hand:
> We could simplify the rules a lot by getting rid of the free kick completly:
> Chapter 12 can be shortened and present chapter 13 can be removed completely
> if we would find a solution to the above mentioned problem.

The structure of Sections 1 to 17 of the rules follows the structure
of the FIFA Rules (which does not have sections beyond 17),
please see the link to them in the left navigation menue at
http://www.tzi.de/humanoid

Therefore I suggest to keep sections 12 and 13 but to
emphasize clearly that all indirect and direct free kicks are replaced
by time removal penalties.
(Penalty kick is, of course, conducted as usual.)

Later on in the future, when some indirect or direct free kicks
will be introduced back again we can then start about reformulation
of the specific rules for indirect and direct free kicks.

I am in favor of keeping the current structure of Sections 12 and 13
(plus more emphasize on removal penalty as replacement)
because it is closer to the FIFA rules when indirect and direct free kicks
are called, which in our case are all (- does anyone want any
exceptions? -) replaced by removal penalty in 2010.

Best regards,
Oskar