[robocup-humanoid] Time Penalties for the Goalie

Jörg Zimmer zimmer_j at rbg.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Dec 30 07:41:55 EST 2009

Dear Michael, dear all,

this penalty will be applied if the goalie

1)      holds the ball for more than 5 seconds/more than 4 steps

2)      blocks more than half of its goal line for more than 15 seconds or
for the majority of the time

3)      in an unsportsmanlike manner tackles an attacker.

4)      is picked up for service / leaves the field.

The other rules in my opinion are never judged by the referees. They are
quite difficult to avoid by the teams and hard to judge.

5)      touches the ball again with its hands after it has been released
from its possession and has not been touched any other player.

6)      touches the ball with its hands after it has been deliberately
kicked to it by a teammate.

So I suggest not to transfer these last two points to the new rule draft. If
anyone would insist in having them, that is also okay to me. I guess they
are never used anyway and only unnecessarily bloat the rules.

The first three points might avoid the other team scoring a goal. If such a
violation was done as a tactical matter to directly avoid a goal, we could
not apply any removal penalty but grant a Penalty Kick to the attacking
team. This will be executed after the second halftime. That would mean
little interference with the game – no robot handler in the middle of the
action.

If a violation was done not close to an attacker (1, 2 and 4)  and not as a
tactical matter to avoid a possible goal, the removal penalty will be
applied on the goalie.

We might have to define the goalies tackling (3). It’s the attackers task to
avoid tackling in the penalty area – not the goalies. But it cannot be a
defending strategy to tackle attackers. So a goalie can only be punished for
tackling if it is clearly not walking towards the ball and the main movement
for tackling is done by the goalie. If both robots, attacker and goalie,
walk into each other we just remove both robots.

Having a look at point 4, a 0 seconds penalty is a clear advantage compared
to 30 seconds applied to field players.

If a violation avoids a goal and in subsequence to a removal penalty that
goal will be scored, I consider that rule as fair. If it would be scored in
subsequence to a free kick or penalty kick that would suffice as well.
Consider that the attacking team actively has to score that goal on its own.
By the other teams violation their chances to score are just higher. And
that is exactly what we want to reach by this rule.

Regards

Jörg