[robocup-humanoid] [7] Rule Suggestion: Technical Challenges II

Oskar von Stryk stryk at sim.tu-darmstadt.de
Mon Dec 28 09:05:26 EST 2009

Hi Joerg, Steffen and HL Teams,

From my experience in the organization of past RoboCups it does not make
sense to split up the current 25min time slot for all technical challenges
of one team into smaller ones for each challenge
because the disadvantages would be big and the benefit would be low.

If teams have prepared for the technical challenges
a few hours more or less on the day of technical challenge
do not give a significant advantage.

With a 25min slot a team can decided on its own to invest all time
for several trials in a certain challenge. This is a big plus
for a team.

The organizational effort for the techncial challenges would increase
enormously if we give every team three different slots for
each challenge.
It would then be very very difficult to avoid that a team starting
in two or three humanoid size classes would have to have
technical challenges in parallel with their robots of different size.
Also, the organization problems with very lately or even not announced "no
shows" of teams (or assigned referees) in the technical challenges
would increase.

To my opinion the  main problem with the technical challenges is
(not organization but) the participation of teams.

How can we increase overall participation in the technical challenges?

An interesting idea proposed at the Humanoid Soccer Robot Workshop
at IEEE Humanoids in Paris was a restriction for participation
in quarter finals to teams which actively participate
in the technical challenges (besides qualification in round robin games).

With best regards,
Oskar von Stryk

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009, Jörg Zimmer wrote:

> That's the way challenges were done in SPL. But I am not saying that SPL is doing everything better than HL. But if they do it, it is possible to us too - schedule and administration won't be the problem. Both solutions have their advantage.
>
> 1) The current time slots give the freedom to the teams to decide how much time to spend on each challenge or the concentrate maybe just on one single challenge. All participants know that having a time slot 2 hours later might decide whether you finish a challenge or not.
>
> 2) If we schedule e.g. Challenge I: 9 AM, Challenge II: 11 AM, Challenge III: 1 PM and give 10 minutes* to each team on each challenge, we might have less freedom but more fairness. If a team has a stable program on one challenge but participates in all three challenges, it won't be beaten by a team spending the whole time slot on one challenge not running stable.
>
> *exact time per challenge can be defined in specific challenge rules.
>

> I guess we need a vote here because we will find enough arguments for both variants.

Prof. Dr. Oskar von Stryk           E-Mail: stryk(at)sim.tu-darmstadt.de
Simulation, Systems Optimization    Phone:  ++49 (0) 6151-16-2513
and Robotics Group                  Fax:    ++49 (0) 6151-16-6648
Technische Universitaet Darmstadt   http://www.sim.tu-darmstadt.de
Hochschulstr. 10                    D-64289 Darmstadt, Germany