[robocup-humanoid] [7] Rule Suggestion: Technical Challenges II

Jörg Zimmer zimmer_j at rbg.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Tue Dec 22 06:52:08 EST 2009

That's the way challenges were done in SPL. But I am not saying that SPL is doing everything better than HL. But if they do it, it is possible to us too - schedule and administration won't be the problem. Both solutions have their advantage.

1) The current time slots give the freedom to the teams to decide how much time to spend on each challenge or the concentrate maybe just on one single challenge. All participants know that having a time slot 2 hours later might decide whether you finish a challenge or not.

2) If we schedule e.g. Challenge I: 9 AM, Challenge II: 11 AM, Challenge III: 1 PM and give 10 minutes* to each team on each challenge, we might have less freedom but more fairness. If a team has a stable program on one challenge but participates in all three challenges, it won't be beaten by a team spending the whole time slot on one challenge not running stable.

*exact time per challenge can be defined in specific challenge rules.

I guess we need a vote here because we will find enough arguments for both variants.