[robocup-humanoid] [2] Rule Suggestion: 15-45 seconds ReadyState

Weichao Liu weichaoliu at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 10:50:43 EST 2009

Hi,

I agree with Zimmer Joerg on the more flexible options about autonomously
repositioning.

1. Most opposite opinions are based on how the games will look like if the
waiting time is longer. Everyone likes a better looking game, I do too. But
I think we should probably consider the entertaining aspect of our game
after we first promise its rationality and fairness (in addition to the
ultimate RoboCup goals ;-). And I believe most of you agree with me about
this point. Or otherwise, we wouldn't wanna bring Humanoid League to RoboCup
in 2002 (I guess the games by then were not that pretty ;-)

With the 1st agreement in mind, I mainly have the following reasons to
support my "longer time" opinion.

2. After each goal, it's really unfair when the offending team and the
defending team have the same repositioning time, especially when the
offending robots are close to the opponent's goal while the opponent robots
might also be blocking their way back. It happened in Graz many times that
the robots on the scoring side were blocked and/or interfered on the way
back (mostly around the center circle area) to their holding positions.

3. For some teams I saw in Graz, they were capable of autonomously
repositioning as well as possessing a reasonable walking speed. But
unfortunately, they were really just not fast enough to accomplish the
repositioning task under the previous time constraint.

4. In any case, as long as the repositioning robots behave intelligently and
don’t look too stupid to the audience, I think the referee should be able to
supervise and control the situation within as long as 30-45 seconds.

It’s just some rough opinions. I hope we can come up with a better solution
as Zimmer suggested.

Best regards,

Sean W. Liu

liu at ais.uni-bonn.de