[robocup-humanoid] Start of Rule Discussions

Jacky Baltes jacky at cs.umanitoba.ca
Tue Sep 22 16:08:22 EDT 2009

Hi,

I hope you all had a chance to relax a little after RoboCup 2009 in
Graz. I now would like to start the rule discussion for RoboCup 2010
in Singapore.

In contrast to last year, I would like to have the discussion more
open, so that teams can provide feedback to the TC and OC
quicker. This way, I hope to have the official rules released sooner.

Here are my notes from the last team leader meeting. Voting results
are displayed as [vote for/against/abstained].

The next step will be for the TC and OC to come up with a proposal for
the new goals. Teams should sent comments to the mailing list.

My notes from last team leader meeting:

Field size:
-----------
The field size is not entirely under our control, since the trustees
decreed that SSL, SPL, and HL should share the same field
dimensions. SSL has already indicated that they would like to stay
with the same size. I have not heard from the SPL yet. However, in the
team leader meeting all teams in the HL were happy with the current
field size.

Number of players:
------------------
Unchanged with 3 vs 3 players.

Goals:
------
The goals will be changed to look more like soccer goals and more
similar to the SPL. They will have nets [vote: 8/2] which are open on
the back, so that robots can be removed. The poles are either
unicolour blue/yellow or textured [vote: 6/1].

Diameter and height of corner poles:
------------------------------------

We voted to change the corner poles two 45cm height and 10cm
diameter [vote: 7/3]

Number of cameras:
------------------
The number of cameras should be limited to at least a stereo vision
setup (i.e., max. 2 cameras with a large overlap [vote:
10/1]. Monocular vision is also allowed [ vote: 9/1]. There was also
some dicussion about the look of the face, which should say that the
robot should have two eyes, even if not both of them are functional.

Foot size:
----------
We agreed to follow a 2 year schedule for reduction of the foot
size. This would mean that the max. foot size is unchanged for 2010,
but will be reduced to H^2/30 in 2011 [vote: 5/4/1].

Colours:
--------
We decided not to allow other colours, but the robots must stay
black. We will add to the rules a specific clause which states that
the feet of the robot must be black [vote: 10/2].

Motion:
-------

There was some discussion about the range of motions
that a robot is allowed to perform. In particular, the decision was
that a robot should not be allowed to bend its knees backwards (e.g.,
walk like a bird) or sideways (e.g., knee must move in the saggital
plane only). [vote: 15/0/1].

Refereebox:
-----------
To encourage teams to use the refereebox, the discussion was to give a
10s advantage to teams that use the refereebox [vote: 7/3].

Teen Sized Games:
-----------------

There was also a long discussion about whether the teen sized robots
should play 2 vs 2 soccer games or continue with a dribble and kick or
similar challenge. The decision was that to allow games, we must split
the HL into three classes (Kid < 60cm, Teen < 120cm, and Adult > 130cm
with possible a minimum weight restriction). The Teen class (< 120cm)
will start 2 vs 2 matches, but the Adult class will continue with
dribble and kick or a similar challenge.

Teen Sized Challenges:

We discussed including standing up from a fall as a technical
challenge for the teen sized robots.

That is all that I can remember or decipher from my notes. Please let
me know if there are any corrections.

I hope for your continued support to make RoboCup 2010 a great event.

CU,
   Jacky

--
Prof. Jacky Baltes, EITC E2-402 Department of Computer Science, University
of Manitoba Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3T 2N2