[robocup-humanoid] WG: [Fwd: Field sizes used in 2008]

Oskar von Stryk stryk at sim.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Aug 20 11:08:51 EDT 2008

Hi All,

There can not be any doubt that an ancient and very moderately
progressing league can _not_ impose any constraints on the development of
a such an actively and dramatically progressing league like the humanoid
league further to the RoboCup 2050 goal!

We should first discuss which field size is best for the humanoid
league and then discuss how to consider other constraints.
The team leader voting in Suzhou was in favor of a moderate
increase in field size.

The only reason I can imagine why RoboCup trustees want to have more
standardized field sizes can only be the cost of the fields.

The main cost for HL field has been the special lighting
but as the voting about lighting in the team leader meeting in Suzhou
clearly said, the HL will probably go to indoor lighting (TC still has to
discuss).
But then cost is not a reason to have different field sizes
in HL and other leagues like SSL.

Regards,
Oskar

P.S.
SSL could be more progressive and introduce a combination
of global and local vision in 2009 to cover a larger field size.

--
Prof. Dr. Oskar von Stryk           E-Mail: stryk(at)sim.tu-darmstadt.de
Simulation, Systems Optimization    Phone:  ++49 (0) 6151-16-2513