[robocup-humanoid] Discussion at the Robot Soccer WS at the Humanoids 2007

Sven Behnke behnke at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
Wed Dec 5 09:58:24 EST 2007

Dear Jacky,

Jacky Baltes wrote:
> I think the striker should have as high a chance of scoring as if this
> situation occured in real soccer.
Fully agreed.
> Goalies would need to react very well to make a save.
Sure.

> The problem with the 15sec. rule is that teams will implement goal
> keepers that continuously block, wait 15 sec, go up, and repeat.
This has not been a problem in the 2 vs. 2 soccer games.
In fact, many goals were scored while a goalie was getting up and
repositioning.
During this time, the goalie cannot defend the goal.
Hence, it is a difficult decision for the goalie when to jump.

Furthermore, even if the goalie is on the ground, it will cover only
parts of the goal and the striker can easily kick into the free goal areas.
> I think it is easy to judge if a kick is on goal or not, but if a more
> precise definition is wanted I would suggest that a goalie has to
> remain upright until the striker kicks the ball in such a way that it
> enters the goal box. The goalie is then allowed to fall to block the
> ball, note that this does not mean that the goalie has to wait until
> the ball has entered the goal box.
This suggestion is not practical, because the striker is allowed to
dribble right to the goal area, which would give the goalie zero
reaction time.

As far as I know, there have been no problems with goal keeper behavior
during 2 vs. 2 soccer games.
We should make the goalie rules for dribble and kick close to the rules
that govern goalkeeping in 2 vs. 2 soccer.

Best,

Sven.