[robocup-humanoid] Discussion at the Robot Soccer WS at the Humanoids 2007

Jacky Baltes jacky at cs.umanitoba.ca
Mon Dec 3 22:41:02 EST 2007

Hi,

my thoughts on the dribble kick.

I think the striker should have as high a chance of scoring as if this
situation occured in real soccer. Goalies would need to react very well to
make a save.

The problem with the 15sec. rule is that teams will implement goal keepers
that continuously block, wait 15 sec, go up, and repeat.

I think it is easy to judge if a kick is on goal or not, but if a more
precise definition is wanted I would suggest that a goalie has to remain
upright until the striker kicks the ball in such a way that it enters the
goal box. The goalie is then allowed to fall to block the ball, note that
this does not mean that the goalie has to wait until the ball has entered
the goal box.

This makes it much harder for the goalie since it needs to recognize the
position and approx. velocity of the ball, but I think this is warranted for
this challenge.

CU,
   Jacky

On Dec 3, 2007 8:47 PM, N. Michael Mayer <michael at jeap.org> wrote:

> Dear all,
> Last year and this year Emanuele Menegatti, Enrico Pagello, Sven Behnke
> and Changjiu Zhou and others have been organizing a workshop as part of
> the Humanoids conference. This year we used the opportunity to discuss
> the rules for 2008 that happened to be put online just a week before the
> workshop.
>
> Suggestions for changes have been:
> Obstacle avoidance:  Since this challenge is much easier than the other
> technical challenges in KidSize it has been suggested to put more
> (around 20) obstacle poles and let the robot walk a longer distance. The
> pole sizes could be adjusted to the size of the marker poles  that is a
> height of 60cm height, and as before 20cm diameter.
>
> TeenSize dribble kick competition should be more similar to the 2-2
> games in KidSize. In particular, it would be good to make a rule that
> when the goalie goes down he has go up after 15 secs. A sketch of
> outline of the dribble kick competition would be helpful.
>
> TeenSize footrace comeptition: instead of walking only one way it would
> be good to change this to walk one way; turn around and walk back.
>
> Best Regards,
> Michael

Jacky Baltes, EITC E2-402 Department of Computer Science, University of
Manitoba Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3T 2N2
VoIP: +1 (310) 961-2209, Fax: +1 (204) 474-7609
Email: jacky (AT) cs.umanitoba.ca
http://aalab.cs.umanitoba.ca
Gizmo: jacky_baltes