[robocup-humanoid] Some question about RoboCup 2007

Oskar von Stryk stryk at sim.tu-darmstadt.de
Thu Mar 1 04:45:03 EST 2007

Dear Tang Qing,

> The rules said that the robots should listen to the wireless
> communication to receive the start and stop signal while the ball is in the play. Our
> university has participated in the RoboCup Small Size before, we are
> familiar with the referee system of that kind. Is the humanoid league's
> referee system the same with the one used in Small Size? Where can we
> get the referee software? In case we can test our robot to make sure we can
> fully handle the competition.

The humanoid league does not yet have a standard referee software
or game controller as it is used in any other robot soccer leagues of
RoboCup.

Therefore, in 2007 you are allowed to use your own computer
to start and stop your robot during the game using the WLAN
provided by the organizers (Rule 4.4.3).
This computer is only allowed to send game control signals
(start, stop, kickoff, scored goal etc.)
but nothing else.
It is especially not allowed that the computer can be used for
any kind of computation or remote brain to support the robots!

In case you cannot start or stop your robots through wireless
communication it is in exceptional cases allowed to
start or stop your robot manually (Rule 8.1.3).
It is recommended to prepare for manual start and stop as backup
in case the wireless communication is not working properly.

For RoboCup 2008, I think the time has come that the humanoid robot league
should discuss and introduce a standard game controller.

With best regards,
Oskar von Stryk
www.dribblers.de