[robocup-humanoid] Some doubts about rules

Oskar von Stryk stryk at sim.tu-darmstadt.de
Tue Feb 20 14:22:09 EST 2007

Hello  Jackson,

> 1- Should our robots use some kind of black shirt and shorts or other kind
> of black clothes covering their bodies?
> Or we really must paint them black?

To my understanding of the rules it depends up to you
as long as the solution (either painting or clothing) makes the robot
fit into the design rules.

During RoboCup 2006 all teams had their robots painted (mostly) black.

During RoboCup 2005 I noticed that one team, Senchans, used clothes.
Clothes have some drawbacks which have already been mentioned.
And the competition is about performance and not appearance.

Please also do not forget the coloured team markers.
You cannot omit them if the opponents of your team insists on using
them during the 2-2 games (e.g. for opponent player recognition).

> 2- Should you explicit the wireless network? We still need to buy the
> components for wireless communication and we would like to be sure and not
> buy wrong components.

Rule 4.4.2. says "Robots may communicate only via the wireless network
provided by the organizers."

If I remember right from 2006, the type of wireless has not been
restricted in practice (besides restrictions by the organizers and
restrictions about not to hinder other teams).
Therefore, different technologies (WLAN, Bluetooth, etc.) had been used
by some teams in 2006 (if I remember right!).

My opinion is that in the future, as the humanoid KidSize moves
to 3-3, 4-4 etc. games, a standardized game controller and a standardized
WLAN protocol must be used (as it is already the case in all other
RoboCup soccer robot leagues).
We should discuss this point among the rule changes for 2008.

> 3- I think that I already know the answer for this but I want to be sure
> before star working in that.
> The head can be larger than the trunk? There is any other restriction for
> the width and the length of the parts of the robot besides the cylinder of
> diameter 0.55*H ?

Please check 4.1 and 4.2 of the rule draft at
http://wiki.cc.gatech.edu/robocup/index.php/Humanoid_League#Rules
there are several size restrictions mentioned.

The relaxations of the dimensions of the leg lengths, head sizes
etc. haven been modified for 2007 in way that several available
humanoid robot kits can be used without
having to apply for an extra exception as it was the case in 2006.

Perhaps you may want to explain by which interpretation
of the rules you think a head larger than the trunk
may be allowed. I cannot see how it can be possible.

With best regards,
Oskar von Stryk
www.dribblers.de