[robocup-humanoid] Some doubts about rules

Rodrigo Guerra tioguerra at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 00:51:00 EST 2007

Hi,

I am not updated about the current rules but I do have some experience
using clothes in the robots, so I thought it would be nice to share.

In RoboCup 2005 we used a black uniform with the HOAP-2 and HOAP-3
robots we had. There were a few undesirable side effects to that, so I
will try to list:
 -- Covering the robot with fabric made our actuators over-heat a lot
 -- The clothes made it a little more difficult to access internal
wires, batteries, etc.
 -- The balancing of the robot was altered (as light as it may seem,
it did make a difference)
 -- The clothing also added some friction to the joints (even making
it a little loose)
 -- The time for setting up the robot augmented quite a lot (you have
to act very quickly during the games).

Well, this does not mean all this would necessarily happen in your
case, but again, I thought it would be nice to share our experience.
On the other hand, I do think the robots actually looked very nice
dressed with little black kimonos -- which my mom helped tailoring :-)

About painting, I believe humanoid league usually have some pretty
reasonable tolerances for how much black the robot should be...

Best regards,
Guerra