[robocup-humanoid] almost ready

Jackson Matsuura jackson at ita.br
Thu Feb 15 06:47:12 EST 2007

Dear all.
The delay on the decision is not the real problem.
The main problem is the lack of information...

It is true that 1 week should make some difference for my group, but worst
than having the result delayed is to be waiting for it without knowing that
it is delayed.
I have some documents that I should have sent on monday, but I was waiting
the result of the humanoid league to add a possible positive result in the
docs. If I was aware that the decision would be announced only in next week
I should had send the documents on monday without any info on the decision
of Humanoid League. This is what I did yesterday after Michael message.
BTW, I'm managing the Brazilian National Team for Atlanta and not only my
Institution Team so even without being classified in Humanoid League (where
I myself really work) I need to manage to take other people to Atlanta.
Here we must do the technical and not technical job.

You should not understand the difference of 1 week or a few days, but
unfortunately in Brazil, some things are really lazy and a few hours may do
big differences. We were near to not go to Bremen last year because of 1
day (few hours to be exactly), our sponsor need the signature of our
principal and they was about to go on a 5 day trip and without the
principal signature we should not have the airline tickets to travel to
German. Hopefully our sponsor staff were able to get our principal in the
middle of a meeting in another city. So, for us, some days can make the
difference of going or not going to Atlanta. And we should not forgot our
old friend Murphy.

Next time you should consider sending a message or updating the site with a
small notice like:

"Due to the unexpected number of submissions received this year the
decision will be postponed to Feb. 19th."
Before the schedule deadline, and not after someone ask for the decision.

I really think that it should be easier than replying the messages asking
for information.

As I said in my other message, I understand the possible causes of the
delay, but why just not telling everyone about the delay? What you should
do if your research project will be delayed? I guess that you will tell you
superior or your client about the delay (before the deadline), not? So, why
not tell teams that the decision should be delayed to Feb. 19th?

And I agree with Dieter

"In the pre-registration form you are going to be asked to submit a link to
a location where we can download your team description paper (TDP) and a video"
"1. The video of a regular Penalty Kick "

I also thought about doing more videos, from different angles, with
different ball positions, but "a video", "The video of a".

When someone ask for a project of 20 pages and someone send more than 20,
usually only the first 20 pages are considered. The same if someone asks
for the list of the 10 more relevant publications and someone send more
than 10 publications.
Otherwise the ones which sent more material should have an unfair
advantage. But I do not to enter this discussion... next time you should
write, "exact one "continuous" video of no more than 5 minutes" or "from 1
to N videos of no more than 3 minutes each".If I have video editing skills
I should have submitted a composite video with the best parts of many
videos, but what is being verified, our skill in producing videos or in
developing Robots? <Not a complain, just comments and suggestions>.

Well, I will be waiting until Feb. 19th to reschedule my work... and I
really spent 2 days just clicking in the <Check Mail> and <Refresh> buttons.

Again, sorry if I I offended someone, I was not complaining, I was more
begging for information. Unfortunately the e-mail still not have voice
modulation :-D...

Best Regards
Jackson Matsuura
ITANDROIDS