[robocup-humanoid] ?: One question about the position of Image sensor.

Zhou Changjiu ZhouCJ at sp.edu.sg
Fri Feb 2 01:11:50 EST 2007

Dear All,

The general philosophy behind the rules and the roadmap of Humanoid League
is to encourage human-like perception, human-like locomotion and human-like
soccer skills...

As one of Exec/TC members who chaired the rule discussion session on the
last day of the RoboCup 2006 in Bremen, I thought we had an agreement for
the following:-

1. Omnivision is allowed to be used in RoboCup 2007. However, we'll review
this during RoboCup 2007 and will make decision whether NON human-like
sensors are allowed in RoboCup 2008. We'll also work out a proper roadmap
for the Humanoid League accordingly.

2. It's agreeable that NO camera can be mounted BELOW the shoulder.

Let's don't twist the rules based on the usage of English to mislead the
teams and especially newcomers.

Thanks and regards,

Changjiu

             "N. Michael
             Mayer"
             <norbert at er.ams.e                                          To
             ng.osaka-u.ac.jp>         Humanoid League Mailing List
             Sent by:                  <robocup-humanoid at cc.gatech.edu>
             robocup-humanoid-                                          cc
             bounces at cc.gatech
             .edu                                                  Subject
                                       Re: [robocup-humanoid] ?: One
                                       question about the position of
             02/02/2007 10:55          Image sensor.

Dear everybody,
If you compare the other formulations of rules it becomes clear that the
relevant parts (Paragraph 4.2) are recommendations and not rules, i.e.
they use the verbs "should" and "may" instead of "is not allowed" as
stated in the Paragraph 4.1. In addition, the intention of the paragraph
is made obvious in the opening remarks of section 4 by using the
formulation "is encouraged" which is by no means a formulation of a hard
rule. Thus, I think the meaning of this paragraph is vision sensors in
the tummy are allowed but not recommended.
... and I think next year we should (<-sic!) make the rules waterproof.

Michael

Chew Chee Meng wrote:
> Dear All
>
> We do not recall that camera on the chest was specifically brought up in
the RoboCup 2006 meeting.  Only omnivision was discussed and the members
agreed to allow omnivision to be used in RoboCup 2007.  We think that
camera on the chest should be disallowed as it is explicitly stated in the
rule.