[mlpack] GSoC 2014 : Introduction and Interests

Marcus Edel marcus.edel at fu-berlin.de
Tue Mar 4 18:14:29 EST 2014

Hello Anand,

Thanks for your contribution!

> 1. Accuracy, Precision and recall, n-fold cross-validation. (Basic stuff)

That's correct. We should take this metrics into account.

> 2. Area under ROC Curves (Receiver Operating Characteristics)
> [Probability that classifier will rank a randomly chosen positive
> instance higher than a randomly chosen negative
> instance.]

ROC curve works only for binary classification and only when you have a continuous output from the classifier. The problem is, generally we don't have the data to plot ROC graphs.
However, if you like, you can add this quality metric, as an option.

> There are many other possibilities like Bayesian models and
> statistical confidence intervals which can be used for such purposes.
> I need more clarifications on the expectations from this project so
> that I can do my research in the correct direction before the
> proposal. I will be glad if someone can help.

Generally it depends on what you want to know about the performance characteristics of the classifier/algorithm. I think it is best to report several measures of the performance. Just to add some more metrics:

- F-measure
- Matthews correlation coefficient (MCC)
- Relative Classifier Information (RCI)
- Confusion Entropy (CEN)
- Cohen’s kappa

The last three metrics are also capable to measure the performance of multi-class problems.

My suggestion is to combine the base metrics with unbalanced multi-class metrics. At the end the results are stored in the database so we can easily add more metrics.

Is that helpful? If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Marcus