[mlpack] Problem building MLPACK - CF linking error

Gilles Barges gbarges at free.fr
Fri Aug 15 01:30:21 EDT 2014

hi Sylvana,

> I am new to Mlpack and I have had a lot of trouble trying to build it in Windows 7.

you're welcome :-)

> I followed the instructions in MLPACKOnWindows and managed to build all the dependencies and configure MLPACK in Cmake.
> Now, I am running mingw32-make in shell and I get the attached error. It fails to link the CF module to the appropriate boost library.
> I got 32bit pre-compiled boost libraries in MSVC but I am compiling MLPACK with mingw, could this be the cause of the problem?

First, you give a truncated report. End of lines are missing. Please, do no attache an image, but copy/paste the text.
If your terminal cannot copy-paste a long text, use 'make … > report.txt 2>&1'

I see you're using Mingw. Is your system well installed ? I can see the path to ld.exe starts in c:/mingw, goes down deep inside, then reach back c: and finally use C:/mingw32/.…
Looks like a mix of 2 compiler chains ?

I see you're using the CMD terminal.
Really, you should use MSYS environment - and avoid using things coming fom MSVC++
Note: after installing a fresh MSYS, do not forget to run the post-install script.

to compile boost libraries yourself, do the following:
- Do not try to launch bootstrap from MSYS console !
- Lauch cmd.exe, cd to the BOOST root directory, and
  > boostrap mingw
OK, quit CMD.
- In MSYS console now, cd to the BOOST root directory, and
  $ /b2 --prefix=/usr/local toolset=gcc
now go watch a DVD… OK
  $ ./b2 --prefix=/usr/local toolset=gcc install
OK
Header files are installed in /usr/local/include/boost-1_55/boost/

good luck
--
Gilles Barges.