[Women at CC] Rewriting the Code

Whitlow, Jennifer N jwhitlow at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Sep 7 15:53:58 EDT 2017

Hi everyone,

Please see the information below about a fellowship designed specifically for undergraduate women in computing.

Jennifer Whitlow, M.Ed.
Director of Computing Enrollment
Georgia Tech | College of Computing
Jwhitlow at cc.gatech.edu

I work with the co-founders of a nonprofit called Rewriting the Code<http://www.rewritingthecode.org/>, focused on recruiting, retaining and advancing college women in tech. As you are well aware, there are tremendous quit rates of women majoring in computer science and engineering in college and we have developed a national program to help address the retention issue and support women as they move through their academics and on to careers in tech following graduation. If you have a few minutes, we have a video on our website<http://www.rewritingthecode.org/> that quickly summarizes the challenges facing women in tech and the program we have developed to help.

The women who apply to our program hope to gain applied technical experience through tech summer internships, as well as support with both personal and technical skill development. The 12 month fellowship offers networking, community-building, mentoring, and educational programming throughout the academic year and their summer internships. We partner with companies who believe in the importance of a diversified workforce and wish to recruit passionate, well-prepared students. The 2018 Fellowship application opened on August 1st and we will have a rolling admission process for applicants through the end of October 2018. Each week, our team will vet applicants on a variety of criteria including academic performance, technical skills, prior internship & project work, interests and activities outside of tech, written skills and references. Once accepted, the students participate in relevant educational programming such as writing a technical resume, preparing for a technical interview, and communication skills. They will also participate in facilitated webinars on topics such as addressing imposture syndrome & bias, receiving & providing feedback, the importance of teamwork and community-building.

We would greatly appreciate any help you are willing to provide in creating awareness of the Rewriting the Code program and the 2018 application<http://www.rewritingthecode.org/application/>.