[UWAB] Girls Inc. Summit at GT on Oct. 17

Jennifer Whitlow jwhitlow at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Aug 18 10:51:06 EDT 2014

On October 17 GE is sponsoring a Girls Inc. STEM Summit Day at GT and is looking for female student volunteers to help lead hands-on sessions. Please forward to any individuals or groups on campus that might be interested.

Essentially, we will need between 5-10 volunteers to facilitate hour(ish)-long science experiments with Atlanta-area female middle school students. We have some ideas for sample experiments, but if you have any ideas, we are more than open to hearing them. Eventually, we will be selecting 1 experiment to focus on, as we’d like all of our participants to have an equal experience. You will not need to buy, bring, or prepare any materials, but if you plan an experiment, please let us know you are doing so and keep the cost of supplies in mind so that we can purchase and prep them for the volunteers. There will be 2 sessions on October 17, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. I understand that the student volunteers have schedules that they need to work around, so if they can only assist with 1 session, that’s totally fine. They will be compensated with a gift card, and provided with a lunch, regardless of if they facilitate 1 or both sessions.
Please find attached a general flyer for the Summit, as well as some ideas of science experiments.

If anyone is interested, please contact Molly Randall (contact information below).

Thank you for your assistance!

[cid:598eb69a-54c4-42a6-8f60-50e23df7331e at gtri.ext]
  Molly Randall
   Lead Outreach Facilitator