[UWAB] Systers Meetup - Wednesday, September 25th

Jennifer Whitlow jwhitlow at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Sep 17 23:17:28 EDT 2013

Hi Ladies,

Please check out the opportunity below to participate in the Systers program Meetup taking place next Wednesday, September 25th at 6:00pm at GTRI.

Jen

Jennifer Whitlow
GT College of Computing
Director of Computing Enrollment
jwhitlow at cc.gatech.edu<mailto:jwhitlow at cc.gatech.edu>

Systers is the world's largest email community of technical women and promotes the interests of women in technology.  It is a free private group that provides a space for women to get career advice and be mentored.  They encourage students to join so that they may find peers to discuss the challenges women encounter as they navigate through computing programs. Here is a link for online support and resources for women in computing.  http://anitaborg.org/initiatives/systers/

Meetup Wednesday, September 25, 2013, 6:00 PM
Grace Hopper Celebration ... first time, been there before, never been ...
Georgia Tech Research Institute Conference Center
250 14th St NW, Atlanta, GA 30318 (map<http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=250%2014th%20St%20NW,%20Atlanta,%20GA%2030318>)

Message from Systers:

As a community and part of our jobs, we attend conferences for many different reasons. We should share our experiences and knowledge of conferences that will help women in computing select conferences that will benefit them the most.

Grace Hopper Celebration 2013 Minneapolis, Minnesota
[1] First timers, been there before, share your experiences.
[2] What do you want to get out of the conference? Review the schedule together day-by-day.
[3] Is there someone in particular you want to meet? Job fair important to you? Networking?
[4] Other items more specific to your local meetup or industry.

Suggestions:
1) Have members read through the GHC schedule and prepare at least 3 questions before meetup? Maybe submit them to Systers Keeper before meeting to get those questions answered before meetup.
2) Ask if anyone has attended GHC before and speak about their experience.
3) Ask Systers' Keeper how to get involved with the communities.
4) Discuss other conferences for women, technical or otherwise.
5) Discuss strategy for regular meetups in your local area.

Planning for 2014 Conferences:
1) Planning for Technical Conferences in 2014?
2) Conference communities, submissions and timeline

Scheduled Conferences Sep 2013 - Sep -2014:
O'Reilly conferences
DrupalCamp
Tapia
PyCon