[UWAB] Fwd: Announcing FBU!

Powell, Kaitlin E kpowell32 at gatech.edu
Wed Mar 27 20:45:29 EDT 2013

Hi everybody, below is information on Facebook's new paid summer program geared towards freshmen.

Facebook is excited to announce our first ever Facebook U ("FBU")! We believe that anyone, anywhere can make a positive impact by developing products to make the world more open and connected. If you are a college freshman who is passionate about technology and considering pursing computer science and engineering, we want you to be part of Facebook U.

FBU is a paid 8-week summer experience to learn about mobile development and get hands-on experience developing features that will help more than a billion people around the world connect to the people and things they care about. During the 8 weeks you’ll get a crash course in mobile engineering and development followed by six weeks of hands-on project experience in a small team setting. Along the way you’ll have one of our best engineers to guide you!

Our development cycle is extremely fast, and we've built tools to keep it that way. It's common to write code and have it running live on the site just a few days later – we’ll show you how! If you join FBU, you will make an impact on over 1 billion people around the world immediately.

Apply!
To apply please take the following two steps no later than March 29th, 2013 :
Step 1 : Please submit your resume by clicking APPLY NOW
Step 2 : Please also send the following information to fbu at fb.com :
- High school and freshman year transcripts (copies are fine, please include your SAT or ACT scores)
- Essay: In one page, please describe how you think mobile technology can help the world become more open & connected?

Responsibilities
· Participate in a 2-week mobile development training course
· Work in a team of 3 to develop features for our mobile engineering team
· Apply current programming knowledge (in C++, Java, PHP or other programming language) and learn new technologies

Requirements
· Current freshman in college with demonstrated interest in science and technology
· Available to work in Menlo Park, CA from July 1-August 23, 2013
· Must have authorization to work in the US
· Knowledge of at least one programming language (ie: C/C++, Java, PHP)
· Some level of experience with C/C++
· General knowledge of relational databases and SQL