[UWAB] Opportunity for Sustainable Research

Victoria Au vau at gatech.edu
Fri Apr 30 11:09:32 EDT 2010

Hi girls,

Exciting opportunities! If you're interested in the below, please contact
Marcia Kinstler at marcia.kinstler at business.gatech.edu

--------------------------------------

The deadline for students to apply for a PURA or UROP for Fall 2010 is fast
approaching, May 17.
*

President`s Undergraduate Research Awards (PURA) program competitively funds
individual requests by a student/faculty teams for funds to be used to
support undergraduate student involvement in faculty research. The awards
will be used for student salaries. PURA distributes approximately 200
competitive awards per year in Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters.
*

*Salary Awards:* Up to $1,500 salary awards to student/faculty teams for
student`s hourly wages (approx. 150 hours).

http://www.undergradresearch.gatech.edu/funding.php  I have faculty status
and can be a sponsor for individual student requests for funds to be used to
support undergraduate student involvement in faculty research

PURA Awards must be research projects. In addition to these PURA Awards, I
can take on some volunteers for a letter of reference.  These can be service
type projects

Type 1 ideas:  Researching sustainability and technology

I am working on putting together a list of project ideas but am very open to
what students themselves would suggest.  I would like to see ideas related
to sustainability projects where students work with me, doing research.  I
would also like to see some social network and gaming applications research
tying computer technology to sustainability as projects for students working
with me.  I am open to several students.  These have to be research projects
so they need to be phrased that way in the applications.  I will work with
students on the applications.

Type 2 ideas:  Researching technologies to encourage reading skills in
pre-schoolers

I define sustainability broadly, so reaching out to teach year people to
read is part of my definition of sustainability.  If you can't read, you
can't do well in life -- from taking medicine, to life skills, to careers.
I am also looking for students who could do research on websites and mobile
phone applications to engage pre-schoolers to learn to read and embrace
technology.

Type 3 ideas:  Volunteer projects for Letter of Reference

On a completely different approaoch, I know some students want to be able to
list an accomplishment or project management experience on their resumes
more than they want a salary or research experience.  I am looking for
students to lead projects related to sustainability.  The type of project
can be very flexible -- from organizing responses to grant applications, to
implementing a fall sustainability event for campus, to exploring renewable
energy opportunities, to creating a game with a sustainability theme, to
doing social networking about sustainability for me for a semester --
propose your ideas!

Marcia

--
Victoria Au