[UWAB] Googler & GT alumna, Kathy Baxter Discussion TODAY!!!

cpham3 at gatech.edu cpham3 at gatech.edu
Wed Apr 14 06:52:58 EDT 2010

Hey everyone!

Don't forget to come by room CoC 347 TODAY (Wednesday) at 11 for a FREE lunch and talk with Googler and GT alumna Kathy Baxter! You don't have to stay for the entire time, but we'd love to see you there!

It is well known that, despite their high consumption of technology, women are underrepresented in its creation. The number of women majoring in science and engineering has dramatically decreased, not just in the US but worldwide. Men are 2.7 times more likely to be in high-level positions of power than women and the pay gap is still substantial (80 cents on the dollar). Despite having equal ambition, the "Mommy Track" is real. Worst yet, our self-imposed standards means that we are bound to be disappointed in our achievements.

Kathy will talk about her experiences transitioning from GA Tech to Silicon Valley; from promotion track to mommy track and back to promotion track! She'll share some hard earned insights she gained when someone asked her, "Is this life you're living worth the price you're paying to live it?"

Come with questions and experiences you'd like to share!

Kathy Baxter is a Senior User Experience Researcher at Google. Previously, she worked at eBay and Oracle. She received her MS degree in Engineering Psychology and BS in Applied Psychology from the Georgia Institute of Technology. She co-authored a book on usability methods titled, “Understanding Your Users: A practical guide to user requirements methods, tools, and techniques.” She has presented papers and taught tutorials to the Human Factors and Usability community in the US and Europe since 1997. She also actively supports efforts to increase the number of girls and women entering the engineering and science fields.

Lunch will be provided (PIZZA & CUPCAKES)! Invite all the CoC girls! This is meant to be a very casual and frank discussion about women in computing! Looking forward to seeing you all there!!

Thanks, and we hope to see you there!
--
Candis Pham
B.S. Computational Media