[UWAB] Games for Girls Programming Competition

Barbara J. Ericson ericson at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Nov 20 11:20:51 EST 2008

The Univeristy of Illinois is running the Games for Girls competition again this year.  Teams of up to five college women design and implement a computer game for younger girls.  Winners will receive $2000 and the winning team's Department will receive $500 to help support programs to attract and retain more women in Computer Science.  Entries will be judged by about 30 high school girls attending the annual ChicTech retreat weekend in April.

If any of you want to form a team and want to test on high school girls I can help you make contacts with local high school teachers.  Also, one of my students has been working on a tutorial about GameMaker and if there is interest we could run a training session on GameMaker.

Games must be PC-based.  Teams may use any development tools they wish, but you are encouraged to use the GameMaker platform.

See www.cs.uiuc.edu/g4g<http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/g4g> for more information and to register.  Registration is due by Dec 19, 2008.

Barb Ericson
Director, Computing Outreach
College of Computing