[UWAB] ICE Camp/Girl Scout Camp Volunteers Needed

Jennifer Whitlow gtg160x at mail.gatech.edu
Wed Jan 23 14:27:13 EST 2008

Hi All,

We have seen a huge increase in the number of girls coming to our computing
workshops.  We have gone from
12-20 girls at a workshop to 50-60.  And we have greatly increased the number of
workshops we are doing.
This means that we have more opportunities for you to help introduce computing
to girls this spring.  We are holding several workshops for the Girl Scouts at
Tech in the Klaus Advanced Computing Building.  Saturday workshops run from 10am
- 2pm and we would provide lunch for you.  This spring we are doing workshops
using LEGO NXT robots (this Sat), Scratch, PicoCrickets, and Storytelling Alice.

1/26/08--Robotics Basics--at Georgia Tech
<http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/ice-gt/573>
2/9/08--Scratch--at Tech <http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/ice-gt/574>
3/1/08--Cricket--at Tech <http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/ice-gt/576>
3/8/08--Alice--at Tech <http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/ice-gt/575>
4/12/08--Robotics Extreme--Gwinnett Justice and Administration Center
<http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/ice-gt/577>  (but may move to Tech)

You can also travel to a Girl Scout Camp (Misty Mountain).  You could go up to
Camp Misty Mountain the night before and the Girl Scouts provide a place to
sleep (in a cabin) and meals.  Some of the girl who have done this
have gone kayaking at the camp.
Girls Go Tech Feb 2 2008 <http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/ice-gt/602>  at Camp Misty
Mountain

We are also planning to go to Dalton on a Sunday from 1pm - 5pm to try to reach
more Hispanic Girl Scouts.
3/30/08--Crickets--Dalton, GA <http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/ice-gt/615>

You can see more information on these workshops at
http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/ice-gt/488.

We are also helping with the Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day Feb 16th from
9am - 12:30pm in the Student
Center.  For more information see  http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/ice-gt/598

If you are interested in any of these opportunities please let Felicia Auzla
fauzla at cc.gatech.edu know which ones you are interested in and if you can drive
(if it is off campus).  You would be reimbursed for mileage.

Thank You,
Barb Ericson
Director, CS Outreach
College of Computing