[UWAB] Diversity Talks: Sessions 1 and 2

Nikea Davis ndavisbcs at gatech.edu
Sun Nov 4 11:06:22 EST 2007

*/*All are encouraged to attend*
/*

*/White Privilege/**
Monday, November 5
5 to 7 p.m.
Robert Ferst Center for the Arts, Richard's Gallery*

Kendall Clark defines white privilege as a right, advantage, or immunity
granted to or enjoyed by white persons beyond the common advantage of
all others. Participants will learn about white privilege and its
systemic impact on partnerships, experience and learn the art of
dialogue verses conversation, and talk about their emotions and offer
collaborative recommendations regarding white privilege. This group is
encouraged for white members of our community.* Facilitated by Len
Rothman, Diversity coach.

*/Internalized Oppression/**
Monday, November 5
5 to 7 p.m.
Robert Ferst Center for the Arts, Westbrook Gallery*

When we think of prejudice reduction work, we think of the stereotypes
we have about other groups. But, one of the most painful results of
discrimination is that we also end up internalizing many of these
stereotypes and taking them out against members of our own group. The
impact of Internalized Oppression will be explored. This group is
encouraged for persons of color.* Facilitated by Stephanie Ray,
associate dean of students/director of Diversity Programs.

*In a few weeks we will facilitate a dialogue with both groups.