[UWAB] Fwd: FW: Job for Spring 2008?

Jennifer Whitlow gtg160x at mail.gatech.edu
Mon Dec 3 17:04:34 EST 2007

Hey girls!

Check out this job opportunity to work with middle school girls on Tuesdays and
Thursdays. I've worked with Barb in the past and had so much fun with the Pico
Crickets.

Jennifer
--
       Jennifer Whitlow
     Computational Media
    gtg160x at mail.gatech.edu

I am looking for energetic and responsible computer science and/or computational
media students to help us introduce computing to middle school girls at 3 local
middle schools.  We meet with 15-20 girls twice a week (Tues and Thurs) from
4:00pm - 6:00pm.  This is part of a YWCA Teen Girls in Technology afterschool
program.  We send out students in teams of 2 and pay for your time to learn the
material, prepare for the sessions, travel, and do the sessions.  We also pay
students to develop ideas to try with the students.

We teach them computing concepts using LEGO NXT robots
(http://mindstorms.lego.com/), PicoCrickets (http://picocricket.com/), Scratch
(http://scratch.mit.edu <http://scratch.mit.edu/> ) and Alice
(http://www.alice.org <http://www.alice.org/> ).  LEGO NXT robots and
PicoCrickets are both robotic type kits that allow you to build and program
robots using drag-and-drop programming.  The PicoCrickets are more of an arts
and crafts kit for the digital age.  Scratch and Alice make it easy for kids to
learn computing concepts while building animations and games.

If you are interested please e-mail Felicia Auzla fauzla at cc.gatech.edu.  You
must be available Tues and Thurs from 3:30pm - 6:30pm.  Please let us know if
you can drive (have a license) and have a car.  You don't have to have a car to
be considered.  We pay about $12 an hour.  For more information see
http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/ice-gt/597.

Thank You,
Barb Ericson
Director, Computer Science Outreach