[UWAB] Volunteer with the Girl Scouts

Whitlow,Jennifer Nicole gtg160x at mail.gatech.edu
Sun Aug 26 18:12:39 EDT 2007

Hello,

We have several opportunities for you to volunteer this fall to help us
introduce computing to girl scouts!

We have several Dad and Me weekends coming up starting Sept 15.  Dads
and their daughters go camping and do a variety of activities.  We help
them do an activity with LEGO NXT robots (http://mindstorms.lego.com/)
in one hour sessions.  We usually go up Sat night and build the robots
and then help with the activities on Sunday till noon.  The girl scouts
provides a place to sleep and meals.   We reimburse you for mileage if
you drive.

Dad and Me (Mountain Jubilee) weekends at Misty Mountain (about 2 hours
north of Georgia Tech)
Dad and Me September 15, 2007
Dad and Me September 22, 2007
Dad and Me September 29, 2007
Dad and Me October 6, 2007

We have several Mom and Me weekends coming up starting Oct 6th.  Moms
and their daughters go camping and do a varieity of activities.  We help
them do activities with PicoCricket kits (an arts and crafts kit for the
digital age http://www.picocricket.com/).  We will probably go there Sat
night and do the activities on Sunday till noon.  The girl scouts
provides a place to sleep and meals.   We reimburse you for mileage if
you drive.

Mom and Me (Serendipity) weekends at Camp Merriweather (about 1.5 hours
south of Georgia Tech)
Mom and Me Oct 6, 2007
Mom and Me Oct 13, 2007
Mom and Me Oct 20, 2007

We have several longer workshops on Saturdays.  These run from 10am to
2:00pm.

10/27/07--Crickets--at Tech
11/10/07--Robotics Basics--at Tech
12/1/07--Alice--at Girl Scout VSC (www.alice.org)
1/25/08--Robotics Basics--at Girl Scout VSC
2/9/08--Scratch--at Tech (scratch.mit.edu)
3/8/08--Alice--at Tech
3/1/08--Cricket--at Tech
4/12/08--Robotics Extreme--Gwinnett Justice and Administration Center

If you can volunteer at any of these please let me or Felicia Auzla
know.  Her e-mail is fauzla at cc.gatech.edu.

Thank You,
Barb Ericson
Director, CS Outreach