[robocup-worldwide] MATLAB R2018b now available for RoboCup

April Foster april.robocup at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 17:12:11 EDT 2018

Hello RoboCup participants,

Here is the latest news from *MathWorks*: a Global Sponsor of RoboCup.

*MATLAB Release 2018b is Now Available! *As part of our support for
RoboCup, you now have access to the latest MATLAB and Simulink product
features <https://www.mathworks.com/solutions/deep-learning/features.html>.

If your team already has a license, download R2018b here
<https://www.mathworks.com/downloads/>. Else, request a complimentary
license for your RoboCup
<https://www.mathworks.com/academia/student-competitions/robocup.html> or
RoboCupJunior
<https://www.mathworks.com/academia/student-competitions/robocup-junior.html>
team.

New capabilities include:

*Deep Learning *Deep Network Designer app
<https://www.mathworks.com/help/deeplearning/ref/deepnetworkdesigner-app.html>
– graphically create and edit deep neural networks
Pretrained networks and import/export to other deep learning frameworks
<https://www.mathworks.com/solutions/deep-learning/models.html>
Computer vision
<https://www.mathworks.com/help/vision/deep-learning-semantic-segmentation-and-detection.html>
– Image and video labeling, semantic segmentation, and object detector
training
Automated deployment to NVIDIA GPU platform
<https://www.mathworks.com/hardware-support/nvidia-tegra.html>s, including
Jetson and DRIVE

*Robotics   *SLAM Map Builder app
<https://www.mathworks.com/help/robotics/ref/slammapbuilder-app.html> –
load recorded lidar and odometry data to build 2D maps using SLAM
Simulink ROS enhancements
<https://www.mathworks.com/help/robotics/release-notes.html> – read rosbag
logfiles, inverse kinematics, ROS services, and ROS time model pacing
Sensor Fusion and Tracking Toolbox
<https://www.mathworks.com/products/sensor-fusion-and-tracking.html>
Mobile Robotics Simulation Toolbox 2.0
<https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/66586-mobile-robotics-simulation-toolbox>
– Not an official toolbox, but something we just redesigned to simulate
multi-robot environments!

… and more!

*RoboCup 2018 Highlights *This year in Montreal, we collaborated with
RoboCup organizers on 2 educational events!

*RoboCup at Home Education Challenge *Used MATLAB, ROS, and TurtleBot 2 to
teach newcomers service robotics so they may one day participate in
RoboCup at Home Major Leagues
[Read our blog
<https://blogs.mathworks.com/racing-lounge/2018/08/15/robocup-athome-education-2018/>]
[Access open-source materials <http://www.robocupathomeedu.org/learn>]
Thanks to Professors Jeffrey Tan, Luca Iocchi, Yoshinobu Hagiwara,
Kanjanapan Sukvichai, and more!

*Machine Learning to the Rescue: RoboCupRescue Agent Simulation Workshop *Used
MATLAB and Statistics and Machine Learning Toolbox to connect to Java based
RoboCupRescue Agent Development Framework (ADF)
[Read our blog
<https://blogs.mathworks.com/racing-lounge/2018/07/04/machine-learning-to-the-rescue/>]
[Access open-source materials
<https://github.com/IntelligentRoboticsLab/Joint-Rescue-Forces/wiki>]
Thanks to Professors Arnoud Visser and Luis Gustavo Nardin!

*RoboCup in The Winner’s Circle *In our Winner’s Circle page
<https://www.mathworks.com/academia/superstar-students.html#robotics>, we
feature award-winning competition teams that have used MATLAB and Simulink
as part of their design. This year, we had a record-breaking 4 participants
from RoboCup. Please join me in congratulating:

*NimbRo – University of Bonn*

*1st place – Main Competition, Drop-In Challenge, and Technical Challenge
RoboCup Humanoid AdultSize – RoboCup 2018*

*Nalanda – ROBOMOD; Genesis Global School*

*1st place – High School RoboCup at Home Education Challenge – RoboCup 2018 *

*Evolution Bots – Werner-von-Siemens-Schule*

*2nd place – OnStage Secondary – RoboCup German Open 2018 2nd place –
OnStage Advanced – European RoboCupJunior Championship 2018*

*AutonOHM – Technische Hochschule Nürnberg Georg Simon Ohm*

*1st place – RoboCupRescue + RoboCup at Work – RoboCup German Open 2018 1st
place – RoboCup at Work – RoboCup 2018*

Hope to see more of you in our next update!

*Talk to Us!*
If you have any questions, reach us at roboticsarena at mathworks.com or on
Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/groups/RoboticsArena/>.

Sincerely,

*Sebastian Castro*

Education Technical Evangelist – Student Competitions

The MathWorks, Inc.

[image: msra]
<https://www.mathworks.com/academia/student-competitions/roboticsarena.html>

Join the MATLAB and Simulink Robotics Arena : Video Series
<https://www.mathworks.com/RoboticsArena> | Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/groups/RoboticsArena/> | Blog
<https://blogs.mathworks.com/racing-lounge/category/robotics/>

Sign up for complimentary training : Computer Vision
<https://www.mathworks.com/academia/student-competitions/computer-vision-training.html>
<https://www.mathworks.com/academia/student-competitions/physical-modeling-training.html>