[robocup-worldwide] [meetings] Call for Teams - WRS Plant Disaster, Tunnel Disaster, STM Challenges

Satoshi Tadokoro tadokoro at rm.is.tohoku.ac.jp
Mon Feb 26 21:23:39 EST 2018

Dear Colleagues,

The deadline of application to the Disaster Robotics Challenge of the
World Robot Summit has been extended to March 15, JST.  The awards &
prize, the travel support information and the detailed rules have been
announced.  Please visit the following webpage, and consider your
participation.

    Due Date:       March 15, 2017 JST (will not be extended any more)
    Rules:          http://worldrobotsummit.org/en/wrc2018/disaster/
    Awards & Prize: http://worldrobotsummit.org/en/wrc2018/guideline/
    Travel Support: http://worldrobotsummit.org/en/wrc2018/guideline/
    Contact:        entry at worldrobotsummit.org

Theme of Category

On that memorable day, the strong shake grabbed me roughly by the
shoulders.  I could not get up by my arms and legs.  The line between
life and death was thin as a knife edge.  Lives dead, lives saved, and
lives fed to the fire, were seen right under our nose.  Can robotics pin
the faint hope to keep happy daily lives?  What values can robotics
present for avoiding death in disasters?  How can robotics promote our
safety and security?  This competition shall give a clue to the answers.

Overview

The Disaster Robotics Category considers problem-solving in the areas of
infrastructure, disaster prevention and response, and aims to achieve
particularly difficult tasks such as plant disaster prevention and
tunnel disaster response using robots.

1) Plant Disaster Prevention Challenge (Real Robots)
    This challenge focuses on Inspecting or maintaining infrastructures
based on set standards (e.g. opening/closing valves).
    Task P1: Daily inspection/maintenance
    Task P2: Fault detection
    Task P3: Diagnosis
    Task P4: Disaster response

2) Tunnel Disaster Response and Recovery Challenge (Simulation)
    This challenge deals with collecting information and providing
emergency response in case of a tunnel disaster (e.g. life-saving,
removing obstacles from tunnels).
    Task T1: Traversing obstacles
    Task T2: Vehicle inspection
    Task T3: Vehicle inspection using tools and rescue
    Task T4: Secure route
    Task T5: Fire extinguish
    Task T6: Shoring and breaching

3) Standard Disaster Robotics Challenge (Real Robots)
    This challenge assesses standard performance levels (e.g. mobility,
sensing, information collection, wireless communication, remote control
on-site deployment, durability, etc.) required in disaster prevention
and responses.
    Task MAN1: Negotiate
    Task MOB1: Catwalk (inspection deck)
    Task MOB2: Grating/Checker plate
    Task DEX1: Meter/Valve
    Task DEX2: L-shaped obstacle
    Task EXP1: Large-area inspection
    Task EXP2: Duct/Culvert
    Task SEC1: Secret

If you have any question, please do not hesitate to send an e-mail to
entry at worldrobotsummit.org.

--
Please enjoy the latest results of *ImPACT Tough Robotics Challenge*.
- https://youtu.be/3uI7YB3zY4o (2017.6 Eng)

*Satoshi Tadokoro* tadokoro at rm.is.tohoku.ac.jp
IEEE Fellow, JSME Fellow, SICE Fellow, RSJ Fellow
Program Manager, ImPACT Tough Robotics Challenge, JCO/JST
Professor, Graduate School of Information Sciences, Tohoku University
Professor, International Research Institute of Disaster Science, Tohoku
University
President 2016-2017, IEEE Robotics and Automation Society
President, International Rescue System Institute