[robocup-worldwide] Research scientist positions at Amazon Robotics in Boston, MA

Durham, Joey josepdur at amazon.com
Thu Jul 21 13:17:25 EDT 2016

Are you inspired by invention? Is problem solving through teamwork in your
DNA? Do you like the idea of seeing how your work impacts the bigger
picture? Answer yes to any of these and you¹ll fit right in here at Amazon
Robotics. We are a smart team of doers that work passionately to apply
cutting edge advances in robotics and software to solve real-world
challenges that will transform our customers¹ experiences in ways we can¹t
even image yet. We invent new improvements every day. We are Amazon
Robotics and we will give you the tools and support you need to invent
with us in ways that are rewarding, fulfilling and fun.

Position Overview:

The Research and Advanced Development team at Amazon Robotics is seeking
passionate and talented research scientists to work on cutting edge
algorithms to drive the world¹s largest coordinated fleet of mobile
robots. Our team works on challenging and high-impact projects, including
planning how to complete a million orders a day, coordinating the motion
of thousands of robots, and learning how to grasp all the products Amazon
sells. Candidates with backgrounds in resource allocation, discrete
optimization, search, planning and scheduling, machine learning, and/or
control systems are encouraged to apply. The ideal candidates for these
positions will be familiar with algorithms at both the theoretical and
implementation levels. You will be challenged intellectually and have a
good time while you are at it!

Qualifications:

* PhD in Computer Science, Engineering, Machine Learning, Operations
Research or similar
* At least three years of relevant academic research or industry
experience in developing algorithms
* Depth and breadth in state-of-the-art approaches for at least one of
resource allocation, optimization, planning or machine learning
* Ability to develop system prototypes in simulation
* Drive to see projects through from research concept to working
production software
* A working knowledge of analysis of algorithms and computational
complexity
* Fluency in at least one statistical software package such as R, Stata,
Matlab
* Scientific mindset and the ability to invent, a track record of thought
leadership and contributions that have advanced the field
* Excellent creative problem solving skills
* Experience with programming languages such as Java, C++, Python

Additional Skills:

* Superior communication and data presentation skills
* Demonstrated ability to lead research projects and identify fruitful
research directions
* Demonstrated ability to work on cross-functional teams
* Experience writing production or library code
* Understanding of big data computing frameworks (Hadoop, Spark, etc) and
Amazon Web Services
* Experience with optimization software packages such as Xpress, CPLEX,
Gurobi

Chris Buganski
Sr. Technical Recruiter
buganski at amazon.com